• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric door locks

jpk

NAXJA Forum User
Just yesterday my door locks stopped working. When I activate the main driver's side switch I hear a click under the dash in the vicinity to the right of the steering wheel. Any thoughts as to what has caused this situation? Thanks.

What kinda vehicle ?

Have you checked the fuses ? Using your volts/ohms multi-meter, do you have wire continuity from the body side wire plug, to the lock solenoid at each door ? Issues with the door wire harnesses and drivers door master switch are common. Mechanical issues from bent lock rods or dirty locking/latching mechanisms can also prevent locking. Use throttle body cleaner and lubricate with a light oil. WD-40 is neither a cleaner nor a lubricant, I always use Break Free CLP gun oil.

It's a 96 XJ, this site is XJ exclusive so I would have assumed it was taken for granted it was an XJ.

Have not checked the fuses, will do that but if I get a click under the dash when I activate any of the switches I am assuming the circuit is getting power. Is there a relay under the dash that energizes the circuits? The door locks all worked perfectly yesterday morning.

Over the life of the XJ's Cherokee there have been multiple types of engine controls and physical updates/changes to nearly every system and feature. The correct answers to even the simplest questions can and will vary based on the model year, the engine/transmission/transfer case/axles presently installed and/or other installed options or owner modifications.

There are two relays that work in tandem. On a 94, there is an auxiliary relay "box" mounted to the lower dash trim panel, directly below the steering wheel.

Over the life of the XJ's Cherokee there have been multiple types of engine controls and physical updates/changes to nearly every system and feature. The correct answers to even the simplest questions can and will vary based on the model year, the engine/transmission/transfer case/axles presently installed and/or other installed options or owner modifications.

I understand that, not to be a nit but you asked what vehicle. You should have asked what year XJ? I've had multiple year XJ's continuously since 1994 so I'm aware of how things have changed through the years. The door locks have been lubed and were working flawlessly mechanically. The hardware isn't the problem, it is an electrical one since there is a clicking under the dash when I activate the circuit. This is the first time I have had an issue with the electric door locks ever. I was unaware there are two relays that work in consort. I will check that out in the am. Thanks for your help and recommendations, I really do appreciate it.

Back