• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

93 Laredo vs. 97 sport

SLAYER

NAXJA Forum User
Well, i have been pondering which year i should decide upon. Both have their pros and cons. But the basic stock that i would want are--
NP231
AW4
4.0 HO
Grey interior.
Red, white, silver or tan paint.

Does anyone have any info on the good the bad and the ugly between these two years?
:rof:

Get the 97 IMO...why because I have one and I love it. Mine fits your description excempt mine is black. Look for one with an 8.25 rear if possible. I have 165000 miles on mine and it runs better everytime I drive it.

'97 Pros:
Possible 8.25"
New style front clip
Possibly less k's than the '93

97 Cons:
They tend to get vibes with small lifts and require SYE's sooner than pre-97's usually
Used parts are sometimes harder to find
Usually a little more pricey

'93 Pros:
They can go taller without vibes (usually) than the '97+
Generally cheaper
Used parts are everywhere

'93 Cons:
D35
Possibly more K's

Wow, I'm drawing a complete blank here, I know theres more to list but I just can't think of them right now.

Last edited:
Some pros for the 97...

The front axle will have larger u-joints; 297 vs the older 260 u-joints.
The 8.25 axle has thicker shafts and more splines than pre-97 units.
The engine received an upgrade in 96 to run smoother, make torque at a lower rpm, and has more NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) reduction than pre-96 units.

Some cons...

Airbags on both sides. (A nice safety feature, but I don't like 'em!)
OBD II computer. Some folks say it's harder to 'trick' with power add-ons.
Steel rear hatch. I like the fibreglass one better, won't ever rust!

:)

XJPhoenix said:
Steel rear hatch. I like the fibreglass one better, won't ever rust!

He lives in California...rust isn't an issue. However hitting a 'glass gate on a rock breaks it, steel just gets you a little dent.

Ive heard that the 97's have insane creaky's with the plastic dash and interior noises. And that the electronics seem to have more problems (mainly switches). Why does the 97's and up have more vibrations than the older ones? Does the upgraded steel around the 97's make it a bit heavier. I was in the lot today and noticed that the doors and fenders are much stronger than the old ones.
I def like that the older ones dont have the air bags. But they are so much more uglier in the inside than the new ones.
Did they change anything in 98?

97 and 98's are the same. The plastic interior creaks a bit, but hardly even noticable unless on really bumpy streets...and even then not bad. Never had any electrical problems with 165,000 on the clock.

chelms27 said:
97 and 98's are the same. The plastic interior creaks a bit, but hardly even noticable unless on really bumpy streets...and even then not bad. Never had any electrical problems with 165,000 on the clock.
Had a 98 and now a 97 (with a lot of my 98 parts in it). Anyways, it doesn't really creak (suspension makes more noise then the interior). Seats are WAY more comfy then older ones (my dad has a 94 which promptly got seats from my 98). The 97 is easier to diagnose with ODBII reader. Steal hatch is a plus (lighter then fiberglass, plus it's more durable as it only deforms rather then explode and crumble).

Also the structure of the body is supposedly stronger in 97+ over the 96- (don't remember the details but I do recall posts about it from time to time).

A couple of possible areas:

93: If the seats are good, I think the pre-95 seats are the best ever. Later models are all right but lack the base adjusting feature. Fuel filter can be replaced easily. Interior space is better organized, but no good cup holders. If you like opening vent windows, the 93 allows this. Standard radio space makes DIN chassis easy to install.

97-up: stiffer structure, greatly improved hand brake design. Useable cup holders, but otherwise really poor on interior storage. Some wiring improvements. Center brake light. Better interior lights. Rubber windshield molding rather than aluminum (which can buzz in wind when loose).

All issues are minor, I think. Buy for condition.

Rear steel hatch back is not lighter, i know because i have replaced both. But the steel is stronger obviously. Has anyone noticed a difference in sheet metal on the doors? The 97 and up seem alot stronger than the 93.
But as Currie said-buy for condition i will.
The parts i do have is a 98 8.25 with 4.56's. and a 5.5 rubicon lift with tires im going to buy from my buddy at les schwab.
About the T-cases.
Whats the diff between years as far as the 231? Can i install a SYE in the 97 and up 231? I hope if i buy a 97 that it will like the new susspension i put on it, vibes and ect.
I drove in my friends 92 with a 5.5 and 33, there was no vibes, super smooth ride, and it wheeled like a spider over rocks.

SLAYER said:
Rear steel hatch back is not lighter, i know because i have replaced both. But the steel is stronger obviously.
Are you sure? I got the lighter thing from someone who has weighed them (can't remember who that was at the time, but it did spark a big discussion about weight differences).

Whats the diff between years as far as the 231? Can i install a SYE in the 97 and up 231? I hope if i buy a 97 that it will like the new susspension i put on it, vibes and ect.
Difference? Seal and the length of the output shaft. You can install the SYE in both.

Buy an 89'. They are the best. I have had a LOT of xj's and the 89's seem to hold up the best to me. Plus the renix motors I think last much longer. I just cant imagine my 01' lasting 18 years and 250,000 miles to the same abuse that my 89' has. There is no way. Fit and finish was way better in the old days. But working at a body shop and seeing wrecked cars all day Id get one with airbags and seatbelt pretensioners. They save so many lives I dont care what anyone else says.

SLAYER said:
So go with a newer xj?
What are seatbelt pretensioners?

Seatbelt pretensioners are small pyrotechnic devices that forcibly reel in the seat belts in the event of an accident, so as to keep the person in their seat. Generally, I would think that the activation criteria are similar to those for airbags, but I'm not sure. Like airbags, they're one-time devices, but I don't know if you have to replace the whole belt assembly or just the pyro charge.

Just out of a curiosity, where'd you find a '93 Laredo? I thought that package ended with '92.

Rob

There's some more differences that might argue in favour of the newer Jeep as well.

Here's what Edmund's has to say about the Jeep cherokee and the various changes throughout the years... (Check it out at http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=46011 it's a fascinating read!)

1994. Side-impact beams were now found in the doors, the roof was beefed up for more crush resistance and a center, high-mounted stoplight sat atop the liftgate. Air conditioning now used CFC-free refrigerant.

For those who didn't like the champagne (the color, not the libation) of the year before, the Country was now available with silver as the secondary color. And in an effort to make the base model sound more appealing, the entry-level Cherokee now had the "SE" moniker added to its name.

In spite of looking very much like the 1984 version, the Cherokee continued to be popular among those looking for a manageable (both in size and cost) and capable SUV. 1995 brought a few notable changes, a driver's side airbag and the availability of an automatic (albeit just a three-speed) transmission for the four-cylinder SE. Sport and Country models continued with the 4.0-liter, six-cylinder engine hooked up to either a five-speed manual or four-speed automatic gearbox. A few new colors, such as Moss Green and Aqua Pearl, completed the changes for this year.

Minor refinements continued for the Cherokee in 1996. Both the four- and six-cylinder engines were tweaked to run smoother and quieter. The inline six now produced its power at lower rpm, making it more responsive whether accelerating from a light or towing a trailer up a steep grade.

Safety and reliability were both enhanced this year. An automatic transmission/brake pedal interlock reduced the chance of an accident by requiring the driver to apply the brake when moving the gear selector out of Park. The electrical system was upgraded via a heavy-duty alternator and battery. And the engine received a stiffer block, new aluminum pistons and a new powertrain control module.

In addition to the aforementioned improvements, some new colors, such as Bright Jade and Stone White, helped extend the appeal of the Cherokee, now in its 13th model year.

Fourteen years after it debuted, the Cherokee finally received a facelift, well, actually quite a bit more than a facelift. The $215 million update occurred in 1997 when the front and rear ends were smoothed out, the interior was updated and noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) levels were reduced.

Although one had to look close to pick off a '97 versus an older Cherokee, a more cohesive appearance was achieved via softened corners at the nose and tail and with wheelwell flares that blended into the bumper ends. The front vent windows were dropped for a cleaner look and lessened wind noise, and larger side-view mirrors, new bodyside moldings, new wheels, optional deep-tint glass and a center high-mounted stop lamp completed the changes outside.

Inside, change was much more apparent, as the more modern cabin featured several key improvements in ergonomics, safety and style. A new dash (now with a passenger airbag), revised gauges and a new center stack with easier to use controls for the stereo (now available with both cassette and CD players) and climate control system sported a cleaner design with fewer pieces, which decreased the likelihood of squeaks and rattles. Other interior refinements included new door panels, lighted power mirror and window switches, a trip computer for the overhead console and a new center console that boasted integrated cupholders.

In an effort to improve build quality, Jeep made changes to the plant that made the body panels, using new or reconditioned stamping dies and tighter tolerances. More testing, including all electrical functions and increased use of robotic paint sprayers were employed, as well.

Having made extensive engine refinements in 1996, Jeep left well enough alone, but did improve the electrical system via upgraded connectors and a decreased amount of wiring.

Back