• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to XJs. Frame stiffener question

XJFAMFUN

NAXJA Forum User
I bought my '93 XJ about 3 months ago. It already has a Rustys long arm on the front and a Rock Krawler 4 link on the rear. Both of those kits bolt to the unibody already. Is this enough to stiffen it, or do i still need to add stiffeners. I look forward to learning from all of you experienced guys.

Stiffners on a XJ is never a bad choice. Especially if you wheel it. The unibody is paper thin. Even though your suspension is bolted to it its not "strengthening" it.

interesting rig. 4 link rear with no stiffs. no, it's not enough. rocker are kinda beat too, so maybe put 2x6 box in there as well

Last edited:
I have been looking at the JCR sliders to cover up the banged up rockers.

2x6 might be a better choice since your rockers and pinch seam are beat to hell. Might be a challenge to get them mounted since the rely somewhat n the pinch seam. 2x6 also depends on your ability/access to whats needed though.

2x6 might be a better choice since your rockers and pinch seam are beat to hell. Might be a challenge to get them mounted since the rely somewhat n the pinch seam. 2x6 also depends on your ability/access to whats needed though.

As i said to start the post, I am new to the XJ fun. It may seem like a stupid question, but can you fill me in on what the 2x6s are?

No worries and welcome! Naxja is awesome. Tons of good info and I suggest dropping in to your local chapter page as well. Gobs of cool stuff and people there.

2x6 is just steel thats welded in place of the rockers. So you cut out your rocker and replace them with a 2x6 beam. Good general idea
https://www.hooliganoffroad.com/products/xj-2x6-rocker-replacement-kit

Yes you need to install a frame strengthening system. There are several ways you can do this just depends on your pocket book if you plan to have someone do it for you or your fab skills. You can either build a subframe that connects the front and rear suspension mounts and is attached to the unibody or you can do a frame plate. Anything that connects passenger side to driver side will also help i.e. skid plates, trailer hitch or even a roll cage.

i'd have all the link mounts fully welded and connected to whatever you end up doing to stiffen it. bolts to or through the unibody won't last

Sorry guys don't mean to spoil the fun, but I think my XJ uni-body will be left as is and maybe one of these days I can get fixer up Jeep with a frame for off-roading and fix it....

Back