• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty Roof

NOTNSUV

You Guys ROCK!
Not much in the Paint/Bodywork forum so bringing it here.

My roof is pockmarked with rust spots. DA clean, epoxy primer, then Raptor Liner or such? Looking for simple but effective fix, nothing fancy for show.
Want to get it done before I drill for my GMRS antenna in the middle of the roof. I can't believe how thin and flimsy the roof is on this thing.

I had this issue on mine. Sanded and hit it with rustoleum hammered black.

Mine was the same. Sanded out the rust, etch primer, primer then coated in spray on bedliner. Helps that I work at the place that supplies all of the OEMs with their factory spray ons.

I did the Raptor liner on 2 of my XJ's. Sand, epoxy primer, more sanding, clean, and shoot. Comes out nice and and durable. Highly recommend.
Pics are from my 99 I did last year.

picture.php
[/IMG]

picture.php
[/IMG]

picture.php
[/IMG]

Thanks guys. Only issue I might run into is I need the steel roof for a ground plane for my GMRS mobile. Asked on the GMRS forum for advice on whether the Raptor will kill the ground plane. I can shoot it with paint if I need to. Hell I'm pretty good with a rattle can..lol.

I mounted mine directly above the dome light so I had access to the mounting and could p/u a ground there.

I mounted mine directly above the dome light so I had access to the mounting and could p/u a ground there.
NMO should have ground from the underside regardless of topcoat, l'm thinking.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

NMO should have ground from the underside regardless of topcoat, l'm thinking.

But will the roof still be RF reflecting as necessary..

But will the roof still be RF reflecting as necessary..

Yes, that should not harm the ground plane. It is just thick paint.

A sander may not be suitable to get the rust out of the pits, a media blaster is a good choice (but dont over do it, as you can warp the panel) if it is a small area, a carbide scribe can be used to pick out the rust from the pits after sanding.

An acid metal etch should be used prior to paint, one with Phosphoric acid and zinc. You can bay this solution at autobody supply shops.

If the rust is not fully removed, killed with the metal prep wash, then over painting with bed liner is worse than paint, as the liner will hide the returning rust, so you wont notice it until your headliner starts getting wet in the rain.

So kill off the rust well, and use the acid metal prep with zinc prior to paint or bed liner for best long term protection.

Something like this...
https://www.por15.com/POR-15-Metal-Prep

The raptor lining should not affect your ground plane. If you have any doubts just think about sticking a magnet to it. You may have hidden the metal from sight, but not from radio waves.

Or as another way to look at it, think about the guys who live in HOAs and have to hide their ham antennas by placing them in ABS pipes so they look like plumbing vents on their roofs.

If we're mine I'd dry the rust by wetting it with 100% isopropyl and letting it evaporate. Then I'd convert the iron oxide to iron phosphate by applying Ospho or Rust Mort followed by primer, wet sanding, painting and clear coating.

If we're mine I'd dry the rust by wetting it with 100% isopropyl and letting it evaporate. Then I'd convert the iron oxide to iron phosphate by applying Ospho or Rust Mort followed by primer, wet sanding, painting and clear coating.

To dewet the surface IPA can be applied, but it must be dry IPA from a sealed bottle, anhydrous (water free) alcohol is the technical term. once a bottle of anhydrous fluid is opened, it will absorb water from the air, and thus wont be anhydrous for long.
However if you do use anhydrous fluid to remove water from the surface, it must be flowed over it, not allowed to evaporate for best results, else the alcohol will evaporate away, leaving the water behind.

Fuel line drier is an anhydrous alcohol. it must be used from a sealed container, else it is useless for taking up water. you can by that at autopart stores.

of course if you use a metal prep acid wash, it is full,of water anyway, so the alcohol drying step is not needed.

a heat lamp will also remove water.

but heck, just clean it, remove the rust by mechanical means, treat it with the metal
prep acid per instructions and paint as desired.
Yes a primer over the bare spots is a good thing prior to bed liner.

Thanks all. Gonna have to get an orbital sander and probably wait for Spring so I can do it outside. Too dang cold for awhile.

Back