NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old July 4th, 2020, 00:13
NAXJA Member

Supercharged LS3 crammed into an XJ

Hello all,
I have been lurking in the shadows of this forum for years and have learned a ton, for that I thank you all. It is now my chance to contribute. It was time to address the hopeless lack of power that a 20 year old 4.0 provides. After heaps of research I settled on getting an LS3. Bid on and won a 2010 Camaro SS from an online auction. The hood was smashed and battery dead so there was no way of knowing how many miles were on the engine, a huge gamble I know. After a week of hassle finally got my hands on my car.

I have a background in robotics and while getting a Master's Degree in the field was inspired to make a computer (Arduino) controlled air suspension. That could have (and really should have) been an entire thread on its own. Because of my unique and entirely customizable suspension I am confident that Skruffy will be able to handle the obscene amount of power (575hp) without being totally reckless and unsafe.

This is my first time posting anything meaningful on here and hope that it is helpful for some of you as many of your posts have been for me! This project is going to take me some time so please be patient. I plan on using Novak's motor mounts, adapters, and cooling system but am now concerned about fitting the supercharger under an already tight hood as well as the intercooler. There is always a way!

Still need to figure out how to post images!!

Last edited by Skruffy; July 4th, 2020 at 00:20.
Old July 4th, 2020, 06:00
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Supercharged LS3 crammed into an XJ

You need a photo hosting site like photobucket, imgur, etc. I would suggest putting your build in the Street/Performance forum.
Old July 4th, 2020, 06:28
NAXJA Forum User

BTW, what are going to do for a transmission and how are going to deal with emissions in your lovely state?
Old July 4th, 2020, 11:03
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skruffy View Post

Still need to figure out how to post images!!
Use https://imgbb.com/
You can upload several images at once and it spits out the BBCode. Copy/paste....boom, done.
Old July 4th, 2020, 11:14
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
BTW, what are going to do for a transmission and how are going to deal with emissions in your lovely state?
As long as he keeps the factory emissions equipment from the Camaro he can get it to pass at a referee. Then going forward they’ll test it as a 2010 Camaro
Old July 4th, 2020, 15:01
NAXJA Member #1310

Quote:
People transplant drivetrains here all the time. California has a big automotive scene with lots of custom fabrication.
As Islander pointed out, the entire engine and the rest of the emission system is moved over and the smog specs changed to those of the newer car.
It must be done correctly, with all the Factory parts, OKed by a certified inspector and registered with the state.
It isn't that big a deal and it's good for the air.
Old July 4th, 2020, 16:22
NAXJA Member

Quote:

I am using the attached six speed auto. For emissions I will just leave all the stuff on there, I will already be nearly 200hp more than I was expecting so the emissions loss is not a problem.
Old July 4th, 2020, 16:23
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdspearo View Post
Use https://imgbb.com/
You can upload several images at once and it spits out the BBCode. Copy/paste....boom, done.

Thanks!
Old July 4th, 2020, 16:25
NAXJA Member

Image post test

Old July 4th, 2020, 16:27
NAXJA Member

Thank you all. I will move this build to the performance section as suggested by RCP Phoenix. Give me a day or two to get it reset.
Old July 4th, 2020, 21:56
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyxj View Post
People transplant drivetrains here all the time. California has a big automotive scene with lots of custom fabrication.
As Islander pointed out, the entire engine and the rest of the emission system is moved over and the smog specs changed to those of the newer car.
It must be done correctly, with all the Factory parts, OKed by a certified inspector and registered with the state.
It isn't that big a deal and it's good for the air.
Yup. My best friend had one of the first fully smog legal Honda B16 swaps in his CRX. The ref literally told him make it look like a vtec del sol under the hood and he’d pass. Learned a lot about it then.

I wouldn’t hesitate to do an LS swap in CA, it’s well treaded water
Old July 5th, 2020, 09:45
Degenerate Jeeper

For posting images, another option is to use Tapatalk. It was free until recently. Now it’s something like $10 a year for the full version that allows for the posting of multiple images. Against my principles, I went ahead and coughed up the subscription price. It’s easy to use.
Old July 5th, 2020, 20:35
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod View Post
For posting images, another option is to use Tapatalk. It was free until recently. Now it’s something like $10 a year for the full version that allows for the posting of multiple images. Against my principles, I went ahead and coughed up the subscription price. It’s easy to use.

Are my photos showing up on here. I see them most of the time but sometimes I log in and they are not visible?!?!
Old July 5th, 2020, 22:05
NAXJA Forum User

Is this a 2wd XJ?
Old July 6th, 2020, 02:25
NAXJA Member

I don’t see any photos...