• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So Cal Smog Testing

94HOCHEROKEE

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I'm new to california and was wondering g about the smog test. I have a brand new magnaflow high flow cat and flowmeter 44 to a tail pipe out the back? Anything I should be aware of before I take it to be tested? Any smog place near Palmdale that you recommend? Thanks

The muffler and tailpipe don't matter, but you need to make sure you have an E.O. number for the cat and that it is correct for your application.

Magnaflow seems to only barely etch the E.O. number on the cat. Make sure you can find it. Look it up in the CARB E.O. system to make sure it will come up as correct for your Jeep.

Any aftermarket intake systems should also have an E.O. number.

The muffler and tailpipe don't matter, but you need to make sure you have an E.O. number for the cat and that it is correct for your application.

Magnaflow seems to only barely etch the E.O. number on the cat. Make sure you can find it. Look it up in the CARB E.O. system to make sure it will come up as correct for your Jeep.

Any aftermarket intake systems should also have an E.O. number.

https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/amquery-091517.php

If you don't have a visible CARB EO tag for that AFE intake then contact the manufacturer to find out what you need to do in order to get one. I don't know about AFE, but K&N will send you a new CARB E.O. decal if you send them a picture of your installation, including license plate & a copy of your registration (or something along those lines). Being that you are moving to Kali you might have to do some explaining since you won't have Kali registration to show them. Just make sure that everything looks as legal as you can possibly make it look. The tech will be looking for E.O. numbers on anything aftermarket. Make sure they can find them.

Other than that, don't go to the smog place right around the corner. Or at least don't go directly there. You want to arrive with a well warmed up cat, ideally fresh of the freeway.

My Mopar headers have a part no. stamped on 'em. That's good enough to identify it as CARB approved for my rig, even without a sticker. I always take a copy of the EO with me to the smog shop in case the technician has any question about it.

If you can, go for an extended freeway drive (run up to Mohave and back), and immediately drive into the inspection station. I recently got mine registered in CA (Inyo county), and it passed with flying colors. it did have a brand new cat.

Inyokern County does not require the vehicle to go on the dyno, just the tailpipe sniffer.

David Bricker / SYR - PSR

I had a problem with my '99 passing, so I took it to a place where the tech would run it at about 3000 rpm for about a minute right before the treadmill tests and it passed.

I had a problem with my '99 passing, so I took it to a place where the tech would run it at about 3000 rpm for about a minute right before the treadmill tests and it passed.

Any tech worth a shit should know that. Sadly most don't do it.

No thanks. I grew up here and I like the air we have now. Besides that I want my vehicles running correctly.

No thanks. I grew up here and I like the air we have now. Besides that I want my vehicles running correctly.

Plus fixing it (depending on the issue) is only slightly more. Mine failed last month, I left it there for diagnostics and they had it smogged and fixed for 360.

He surely appreciates you helping him be part of the problem rather than the solution and also potentially helping in his loosing his license and playing
"drop the soap" :soapbox:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back