• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

piston rings

natesjeep

NAXJA Forum User
hi i have a 97 cherokee with a 94 4.0l and its blowing blue smoke out the tailpipe. i know it gas and oil mixing and i was woundering if i can change them without pulling the engine also how dificult would it be. ive never done an engine rebuild but ive swapped engine and i dont really want to pull the engine again because i dont have a garage. thanks

Blowing all of the time or only after sitting for a while with the engine off?

Yes you can. I did along with con rod bearing replacement and having the head cleaned up along with a valve job. Do it all at once.

You really should check the wear on the cylinder walls to determine if you need to have them bored otherwise it is a waste of time if they are out of spec. If they are in spec just break the glaze with a hone first.

it starts blower after driving it for about 15 minute after its all warmed up and only at about 700 rpm it seems when i rev it to about 1000 it goes away

I guess if its running fine otherwise, plenty of power, I would throw a set of valve stem seals on it and see if its just worn out stem seals. Costs less than $15 a set on rockauto.com.

My 92 junkyard motor was smoking at idle and on initial acceleration but quit smoking once I was under way. Did a wet and dry compression test which it passed easily. Installed new valve seals, Mopar Performance for $18, and now it burns absolutely no oil and doesn't smoke a bit.

Nate, the best thing you could do is pick yourself up a Factory Service Manual from http://www.techauthority.com. Yes, I know.... there are various websites where it's freely posted, those are without exception illegal pirated copies and won't be discussed here.

The FSM will give you pretty good detail about what you'll need for tools (take Mopar's specialty tools with a grain of salt,) and the process for disassembly and reassembly.

Back