• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tailgate bump stops bolt broke off

blu3fan

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,
Not sure if anyone else has ran into this before.
The bolt came clean off of the back side of the bump stop for the tailgate and now my tailgate rattles.
Any ideas on a fix? or diy alternative
Thanks

I think this is just a matter of removing the broken bolt and replacing it with a new one from the JY.

Question would be, how did the bolt break off? Did it break off while you were turning it? Or did it shear off from a side load? Or (I sure hope this wasn't the case) did it rust clean through? The answer to those will then suggest the route to proceed in order to fix it.

Best case you can get it out with a left-hand drill/Grabit screw extractor. Worst case you drill it clean out and Heli-coil it.

Sorry,
I should have explained on the 92-93 model years. that bolt is inaccessible from the back end.
I have tried. they welded a panel over it...

Back end?

I am not sure I understand.

I am just looking at this the same way I would look at a bolt broken off flush in a block or a head.

Just got out of the ER. RIP my lifes work...

PXL_20201222_201056569.jpg

Freeway traffic stopped.
One guy was not looking.
Kept coming kept coming, tried to swerve around me.

BOOM 75MPH into my rear end.
as the happened it sent her into a roll. The roof crumpled in above my head.
I ducked down as I had seen in youtube videos.

came to a skidding stop upside down.

My baby is gone.
I'm gonna sue the F outa the retard that hit me.... Ruined my lifes work.

I'm pretty banged up...
ER checked and no internal bleeding- Luckily...

Oh man...

I am so sorry.

I wish you the best of luck suing the guy that hit you. I expect the insurance companies are going to be your biggest hurdle. Get a good lawyer and don't sign anything.

Damn dude. I'm sure you are REALLY banged up. Hope that you heal quickly. Sorry to see the results of your hard work get wiped out in one moment. Good luck with the next steps.

Was that on the 10 northbound? That just absolutely sucks!!!

Got out of the ER after all the tests.
Soft tissue injuries only.
no internal bleeding they know of yet.
I missed my head getting crushed by the roof by a few inches. Im lucky to be alive...

Glad to hear your ok, what was the other vehicle?

Sorry forgot to respond. It was a 2014~ 4runner.

If anyone finds a quality White 92-95 XJ for sale. please DM me.
I'm gonna rebuild my project once I'm a little better health.

Back