• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rock Krawler Triple Rates

That1Guy

NAXJA Forum User
Searched around and couldn't find anyone running this setup.

Looking at upgrading my suspension system from my cheap Zone 3" to a long arm kit. Specifically the BDS 4 link. I'm building my XJ to be essentially a do all vehicle sand one weekend and rocks the next. Does anyone have an opinion of the rock krawler triple rate coils on the XJ? They would be the 4.5" TJ coils paired with the ACOS Pros to net 4.5" to 5" in the front. I like the idea of the stiffer rate towards the top side of travel to keep me from bottoming through whooped out sections on the dunes. Shock selection is going to be adjustable Fox 2.0 reses.

Will definitely do a follow up on them although it wont come until sometime in April when I can actually test them on the sand.

As a side note I have metal cloak coils and I wouldn't recommend them for any kind of speed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Searched around and couldn't find anyone running this setup.

Looking at upgrading my suspension system from my cheap Zone 3" to a long arm kit. Specifically the BDS 4 link. I'm building my XJ to be essentially a do all vehicle sand one weekend and rocks the next. Does anyone have an opinion of the rock krawler triple rate coils on the XJ? They would be the 4.5" TJ coils paired with the ACOS Pros to net 4.5" to 5" in the front. I like the idea of the stiffer rate towards the top side of travel to keep me from bottoming through whooped out sections on the dunes. Shock selection is going to be adjustable Fox 2.0 reses.

I have been running the BDS long arm 4 link for a number of years now, and it performs great but I would highly recommend you look at another 4 link kit! It is a 1 piece cross member, and ANY time you have to do anything with the tranny or Tcase you need to drop the whole front suspension, which is a total pain in the ass. If you are looking at a 4 link kit I would recommend you check out the Stinky Fab Racing one vs. the BDS one. Trust me, in the long run you'll thank yourself that you can actually drop the cross member without having to drop your whole front suspension.

I agree with baja ^^^ I have a 3 piece cross member and it is definitely the only way to go...
For a true 4 like there's not a whole lot of options that I know of...

Stinky fab
Rusty's competition
Rusty's 4 link (non radius)
Cavfab
Ironman

That's 4 link only... There's loads of 3 links on the market

Thanks for the tips on the cross members. I have been eyeing the ironman4x4 fab kit as well. Especially because I may want to link the rear in the future as well.

SlowXj what dont you like about the metalcloaks I'm assuming they're dual rate coils?

I like them for slow speed crawling, but they seem to be a little on the soft side... I'm a lcg fan so I'm only lifted 3.5 inches and only have 3ish inches of up travel. Even with stiff shocks I bottom out regularly on the street.

I agree with baja ^^^ I have a 3 piece cross member and it is definitely the only way to go...

Stinky fab
Rusty's competition
Cavfab
Ironman

You build your x-member?

Kinda silly how many 1 piece members are out there

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

No..... I bought the iron 3 link the black friday on the year it was introduced... It was approximately 600... I couldn't have built it for that price I don't think....

No..... I bought the iron 3 link the black friday on the year it was introduced... It was approximately 600... I couldn't have built it for that price I don't think....

That's where I am with 3 link arms and member. I may be able save a little coin on materials, tho doubtful. By the time I look it over, measure 3 times, cut once and stick it together yada yada I'd be miles ahead just buying one and a set of links.

For the front I agree, but the rear 4 link kits are ridiculously overpriced imo

I agree just by sfr. Took me about a month to build similar. Im running 3link have a removable crossmember between link mounts.

The rock crawler coins I to am looking at the 5.5" ones I think will be 3.5"ish of lift

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I agree just by sfr. Took me about a month to build similar. Im running 3link have a removable crossmember between link mounts.

The rock crawler coins I to am looking at the 5.5" ones I think will be 3.5"ish of lift

SFR... he still building 3 link kits?

And yes, rear link kits are milled from unobtanium and powder coated with fairy dust

And yes, rear link kits are milled from unobtanium and powder coated with fairy dust

You can get the SFR kit in 3 or 4 link.

I've got the 4 link parts in my garage- next project once I finish the head swap.

Well made stuff, worth the coin.

Bahahahahah this ^^^^^ is such a sad truth!!!!

Stinky fab
Rusty's competition
Cavfab
Ironman

Don't forget Full Traction, too.

But I suggest Stinkyfab.

Thanks for the tips on the cross members. I have been eyeing the ironman4x4 fab kit as well. Especially because I may want to link the rear in the future as well.

SlowXj what dont you like about the metalcloaks I'm assuming they're dual rate coils?

Don't link the rear. You can't package a quality coil and link package in such a way that it actually out performs leafs. We spent a long day at Stinkyfab measuring and mathing but the numbers just don't work out.

Buy some Deaver or National leafs and you'll come out ahead.

Last edited:
Don't link the rear. You can't package a quality coil and link package in such a way that it actually out performs leafs. We spent a long day at Stinkyfab measuring and mathing but the numbers just don't work out.

Buy some Deaver or National leafs and you'll come out ahead.

X1000

I agree. Ive spent some time looking at the rear.
I think the links in a trinangulated 4link will package okay.
Its the coil overs shocks or coils. That will need lots of work.
Air shocks might package okay coming through the floor actually I know they will as I've got a pair of 2.0 shocks on towers

Its al doable just depends on how much work to get it and if outcome is worth the effort over good leafs like mentioned.

Getting rid of shackles hanging down would be a plus along with adjustable suspension characteristics just bu changing link seperation

Gets me to thinking I wonder why sfr doesn't do some cantilever. the coil overs don't necessarily need to be directly tied to the axle.

Could crunch some numbers and figure out some ratios and have some tunabilty just in cantilever arms softer firmer ratios aswell as ride heith changes on the same coils

Back