• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding factory trans cooler

XJ_4LOW

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all - out in the junkyard recently I found a tow package XJ and grabbed the cooler and lines (they had been cut - engine and trans both gone) off of it to install on my ‘00 classic.

Anyone have a diagram of the line routing with the factory tow trans cooler? Does it still use the heat exchanger in the rad?

Thanks!

Still uses the cooler in the radiator.

The top line off the radiator is the return.
Hopefully you got this part at the boneyard.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E322HC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

It will splice into the return line.
See how the return line can be separated into 2 pieces at the quick connect?
The quick connect side of that Amazon hose goes to the part of the line still attached to the radiator.
A hose clamp on the hose end to the aux cooler.
The quick connect on the second half of the return line goes on the cooler.
I can't remember which line goes where on the aux cooler but the quick connect will only attach to one of them so.....

the factory tranny cooler is a tube type, easy to clean, clean kt well, rinse the inside with solvent. Plate type coolers are difficult to clean, in the the case of a tranny or engine that blows (metal bits in the oil) it is recommended to toss the plate type coolers as there are too many places in them for metal bits to wedge and not come out when cleaning, only to break free later and damage your engine or tranny

Consider adding an inline tranny filter, add to the the line before the cooler

Magnafine makes a nice tranny filter. I installed one, mounted to the front cross member below the radiator. besure to get the correct filter for your hose diameter. I also put a filter in my power steering hose and have a power steering cooler too

https://magnefinefilters.com/

good luck!

Back