• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Minimum tire pressures

BALTANAKT

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

Curious what minimum tire pressure is safe for some 31" Duratracs on the original 5-spokes?

We got stuck in some snow the other day and I aired down to 15psi just to get unstuck. Thought I could perhaps have gone down to maybe 10, but did not want to risk a de-bead.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

There are tire calculators that take into account the vehicle weight, rim diameter, and the tire width in addition to diameter of the tire.

For me 33x12.5 Wrangler MT tires on 15 inch rims I will go to 12 psi (warm tire) on moderate trails, but my calculator says it can be as low as 9 psi.(cold tire)

For you, what width tire, what diameter rim, what weight?

Off the top of my head 10 psi might be at the lower limit as generally smaller tires need more minimum pressure, larger dia rims also need higher pressure than smaller rims.

https://parksoffroad.com/prodreview/deflatortest/oasis/oasis.htm

the link shows the calculator I have, thats were I got my data. I also have the Oasis auto deflators, which are really well worth it.

I've been running 12 in front with 10 in the rear forever.

I'm running 265/75/16 Duratrac's.

Whats your wheel/tire setup?

Tire Width: 10.5"
Tire Diameter: 31"
Wheel Width: 7"
Wheel Diameter: 15"
Curb Weight: 3,357 lb

Based on your info above the tire computer says.....

9 psi at 3000 lbs weight, 10 psi at 4000 lbs.

Speed shall be limited to 20 mph, add 3 psi for each 10 mph over 20 mph.

Back