• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Inop Gauge Cluster on 98

Wiser

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, kind of at my wits with diagnosing my Jeep. Recently Purchased a 98 XJ 4.0 AW4 4x4 and it has a gremlin I thought would be simple to fix. I found the tach, ODO & Speedometer, volt, temp, gas and oil pressure gauges do not work. What I’ve done to diagnose:

1. Pulled the dash apart and cleaned green plugs at back of cluster.

2. Ran a separate ground to green plugs for cluster.

3. I checked the two power wires going into the green plugs with a test light. There’s no power going to them. (Kind of a problem...)

4. Checked for blown fused at PDC and Fuse panel at passenger side kick panel.
I have a check engine light of P0700 & P1649

Traced all the grounds except for G108. I couldn’t find G108 under the dash...

Been searching and watching YouTube all day to diagnose. The Jeep starts and drives like normal.

Cruise control, signals, lights and horns work normal

Any ideas? Thanks

Last edited:
I have a check engine light of P0700 & P1649

First, before you can diagnose anything, you need to solve any known malfunctions. The P0700 is very highly likely a direct result of the P1694, and will likely clear itself when you solve the P1694.

The cluster symptoms could also be a symptom of the P1694, you will prove or disprove this theory when you solve the P1694. The instruments in the cluster are driven by the PCM.

P1694 Fault In Companion Module. No CCD/J1850 bus messages received at the power train control module (PCM) from the AisinWarner Transmission Control Module (TCM).

P1694 will set if no CCd bus messages are received from PCM for 20 seconds or invalid messages are received for 20 seconds.

Possible Causes
- Faulty Crankshaft Position Sensor.
- Faulty TCM.
- CCD Bus (-) circuit open between PCM and TCM.
- CCD Bus (+) circuit open between PCM and TCM.
- Transmission CCD bus wiring damaged - CCD Bus (-) circuit open between PCM and TCM.

P1694 Diagnostic Procedure

1. Check instrument cluster gauges for proper operation. If fuel gauge and speedometer operate properly, go to next step. If fuel gauge and voltage meter do not operate properly, test the CPS.

2. Turn ignition off. Disconnect Gray PCM harness connector. PCM is located at left front of engine compartment. Disconnect TCM harness connector. Measure resistance of CCD BUS (-) circuit (White/Black wire) between TCM harness connector and Gray PCM harness connector. If resistance is more than 5 ohms, repair open in CCd BUS (-) circuit (White/Black wire). If resistance is 5 ohms or less, go to next step.

4. Measure resistance of CCD BUS (+) circuit (Violet/Brown wire) between TCM harness connector and Gray PCM harness connector. If resistance is more than 5 ohms, repair open in CCd BUS (+) circuit (Violet/Brown wire). If resistance is 5 ohms or less, replace TCM.

5. Conditions necessary to set DTC P1694 are currently not present. Inspect related wiring and harness connectors. See WIRING DIAGRAMS. Repair wiring as necessary. If no problem is found, check for broken, bent, backed-out or corroded wire terminal pins. Check for chafed, pierced or partially broken wires inside insulation. Repair as necessary.

First, before you can diagnose anything, you need to solve any known malfunctions. The P0700 is very highly likely a direct result of the P1694, and will likely clear itself when you solve the P1694.

The cluster symptoms could also be a symptom of the P1694, you will prove or disprove this theory when you solve the P1694. The instruments in the cluster are driven by the PCM.

P1694 Fault In Companion Module. No CCD/J1850 bus messages received at the power train control module (PCM) from the AisinWarner Transmission Control Module (TCM).

P1694 will set if no CCd bus messages are received from PCM for 20 seconds or invalid messages are received for 20 seconds.

Possible Causes
- Faulty Crankshaft Position Sensor.
- Faulty TCM.
- CCD Bus (-) circuit open between PCM and TCM.
- CCD Bus (+) circuit open between PCM and TCM.
- Transmission CCD bus wiring damaged - CCD Bus (-) circuit open between PCM and TCM.

P1694 Diagnostic Procedure

1. Check instrument cluster gauges for proper operation. If fuel gauge and speedometer operate properly, go to next step. If fuel gauge and voltage meter do not operate properly, test the CPS.

2. Turn ignition off. Disconnect Gray PCM harness connector. PCM is located at left front of engine compartment. Disconnect TCM harness connector. Measure resistance of CCD BUS (-) circuit (White/Black wire) between TCM harness connector and Gray PCM harness connector. If resistance is more than 5 ohms, repair open in CCd BUS (-) circuit (White/Black wire). If resistance is 5 ohms or less, go to next step.

4. Measure resistance of CCD BUS (+) circuit (Violet/Brown wire) between TCM harness connector and Gray PCM harness connector. If resistance is more than 5 ohms, repair open in CCd BUS (+) circuit (Violet/Brown wire). If resistance is 5 ohms or less, replace TCM.

5. Conditions necessary to set DTC P1694 are currently not present. Inspect related wiring and harness connectors. See WIRING DIAGRAMS. Repair wiring as necessary. If no problem is found, check for broken, bent, backed-out or corroded wire terminal pins. Check for chafed, pierced or partially broken wires inside insulation. Repair as necessary.

Thanks for the reply Tim. I inspected the wiring harness going to the PCM and and there’s no wire breaks or frays. I’ll grab a multi meter today to check resistance. On a side note, I cleaned all grounds except G108. I can’t seem to find it under the dash. 2nd side note, would a bad CPS still let the Jeep start up and drive? I figured once they go bad the Jeep wouldn’t run. I have no “No Bus” message on my odometer. I’m kind of stumped.

Last edited:
If there is NoBus and the engine runs, typically that is a connection issue at the back of the cluster. If there is NoBus and the engine does not run, suspect the CPS.

G108 should be on the bolts that hold the dash frame to the lower A pillar, mirror image to G107.

If there is NoBus and the engine runs, typically that is a connection issue at the back of the cluster. If there is NoBus and the engine does not run, suspect the CPS.

G108 should be on the bolts that hold the dash frame to the lower A pillar, mirror image to G107.

Ok, there is no “no bus” showing on the cluster. The odometer is blank. Gotta crawl under the dash and check again

I do not normally recommend installing random parts as a diagnostic tool, unless you have a spare one on the shelf, or if the cost is low at the junkyard. My local U-Pull-It self-service gets $21 for a cluster.

I do not normally recommend installing random parts as a diagnostic tool, unless you have a spare one on the shelf, or if the cost is low at the junkyard. My local U-Pull-It self-service gets $21 for a cluster.

Understandable about just throwing parts at it. I bought the Jeep with the “dummy light” cluster in it and it didn’t work. So I went out to the local pick & pull and found an XJ with the other style gauge cluster. I thought maybe it was the two plugs that were loose or dirty and I would fix the problem as I swapped clusters. That’s when I found I still don’t have any functioning gauges. This is not me but this is the same exact thing that is happening..
https://youtu.be/BKF0hdXyORw

Last edited:
Confirm that you have issues with the power locks and/or power windows in addition to the cluster issues ?

2 cluster with the same behavior/symptoms to me rules out a faulty cluster as the root cause.

Confirm that you have issues with the power locks and/or power windows in addition to the cluster issues ?

2 cluster with the same behavior/symptoms to me rules out a faulty cluster as the root cause.

Manual doors and locks on this XJ. That’s what I figured too about the cluster. I replaced all the fuse at the fuse panel under the hood. Especially checking the IOD fuse too. I’ll get back to you with the resistance reads

I asked because failure of the drivers door and tailgate wire harness is very common. Even though you have manual windows and locks, it is highly likely that the wire for the power options are present. Short circuits in the door wire harness can introduce 12 volts to other unrelated circuits, or simply to ground.

An easy diagnostic is to unplug the drivers door wire harness and see if the symptoms clear up.

I asked because failure of the drivers door and tailgate wire harness is very common. Even though you have manual windows and locks, it is highly likely that the wire for the power options are present. Short circuits in the door wire harness can introduce 12 volts to other unrelated circuits, or simply to ground.

An easy diagnostic is to unplug the drivers door wire harness and see if the symptoms clear up.

With the help of a buddy we found I wasn’t getting power off of the TCM to the cluster... I’m leaning towards a bad TCM. Going to be swapping a known good TCM tomorrow to see if it does the trick. Also I went off of this thread, https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/98-cherokee-sport-no-gauges-133543/

P1649 and a bad TCM seems logical.

Changed TCMs and no such luck. Had a fellow member on here walking me through the wiring harness last night and we found that the PDC was opened before and someone did some janky wiring and a hidden blown fuse laid under the PDC. Oh the joy :(

UPDATE: spliced corresponding cut wire and have power to the cluster. All gauges work except for the gas gauge. Thinking the PO thought the cluster might have been bad and did some janky wiring to try and make the Jeep work. Will be checking fuel sender wires tomorrow to see if I have a short. Thanks Tim.

Last edited:
Back