• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power steering morning sickness.

Rainman

NAXJA Forum User
so in winter im getting the hard to steer of a bit, first thing in the morning.
its gotten worse every winter for the last 3 winters.
i have read that lucas power steering fluid can help. so that will prolly be the first step.
What i want to know is could i expect a rebuild kit to solve the problem? cause apparently it can be caused by wear on the seals the seals AND the casing wall.

any body got any first hand experience?

Mine has been stiff and really noisy on cold morning ever since I replaced the pump with a Cardone reman. It's okay once it warms up though. One of these days, I'm going to replace the pump again. I might try a fluid flush with synthetic and see if that helps first.

Unfortunately those symptons describe the spool valve in the steering box.

were the pump and box new or remanned?

I replaced my stock pump which was leaking with a brand new PSC pump; it's louder and audible because it's more powerful.

I replaced my stock rack with a remanned one from lares and it has been nothing but problems, super stiff in the cold, absolute dogshit. I want to pull it and warranty it but it's a pain in the ass to do because it's so heavy and I'm pretty slight so I've just been dealing with it. once it warms up its a little better but the box sucks

Both pump and steering box were remanf Cardone. The sound is the same noise that you get with the steering wheel cranked hard over against the stops. That sucks if it's the box, because it's a bigger job to get in/out.

Both pump and steering box were remanf Cardone. The sound is the same noise that you get with the steering wheel cranked hard over against the stops. That sucks if it's the box, because it's a bigger job to get in/out.
Its not too bad. Pull the airbox and it's all accessible. I'm on my third lol

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Can't say I have ever received a Cardone pump or steering box that was worth the effort to install. Tried two rebuilt steering boxes that were as bad as the one being replaced.Same story with the pumps.
One of the best purchases for the Jeep was the PSC big-bore steering box and pump, installed years and tens of thousands of miles ago. It's still like new.
To help the steering last, install an inline filter in the return line.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...42e-e8f213ef368b&pf_rd_r=RX4QV0G33AHCDXS2YFVA

Back