• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Solenoids

no clue Do they look the same?

I haven't had time to pull them apart yet. Rather not pull apart the 93' trans if I don't have to.

try finding a website that has the part and cross reference the number or call a dealer and see if they will crossreference the number.

Tried a couple part stores but they didn't list these parts. Called the dealership and they said they were two different part numbers but you know how often dealerships/Manufacturers change part numbers on the same item over the years.

I sold someone a set from an 89, to put in a 98 (as I recall?). He said they bolted in but the wiring connector pointed the wrong way. I never did follow up to see if they really were different or not.

Thanks guys, I'll probably start tearing into it, in the next week. I'll try to remember to report back to let everyone know if they work or not.

:yelclap:

Well just like to report back that I did not have to tear into the trans after all!

Turned out my problem was just the stoplight switch on the brake pedal. Thankfully I talked myself into troubleshooting the problem instead of just throwing parts at it like I normally do. :laugh:

Well looks like I spoke too soon. :smsoap:

Problem was still there, no TC lockup.

Did a lot more troubleshooting and testing wires and such. Found that I could hear the first two solenoid click when I applied power to them at the harness but the last one made no sound. Now it's either a bad wire connect from the harness connector in the engine bay to the trans or a dead solenoid. But either way I had to drop the pan to test both.

Got the pan down, stupid dipstick wouldn't come loose so I had to pull the crossmember too.
AW4Solenoids001.jpg

Tested the wire and found it to be ok. Tested the Solenoid and got about 317 ohms :shocked: definatly toast. Tried applying 12volts to it and nothing.

So time to tear into the 93 AW4 sitting on the floor. I tested all the solenoids first by applying 12volts to them and hear all of them click so I knew they were working at least.
Pull off the pan and found they were a little different in size but the electrical connector fit fine on them. Tested it and it read 13 ohms, so far so good.
AW4Solenoids008.jpg

Here is what the 93 and 98 solenoids look like.
AW4Solenoids004a.jpg

AW4Solenoids006.jpg

AW4Solenoids007.jpg

Time to see if my luck ran out yet.
Installed the 93 solenoid in the 98 and everything seemed to fit fine.
AW4Solenoids011.jpg

Didn't have time to put things back together tonight to hopefully tomorrow I can button her up and test everything out. I will probably be my luck that it still won't work but I guess we'll see.

Nice to see the pictures. Now I understand what the guy meant when he said the 89 solenoids fit the 98, but the connector faced the wrong way. Looks like you had to plug it in and then install?

Nope, I actually got the connector to fit after installing it but it was very tight doing so. I would suggest doing what the other guy said by connecting them first and then installing.

OK, Now I have a TC again! :clap:

Just got back from the test drive and everything works as it should.
Anyone know off the top of their head how much fluid should go back in after just dropping the pan? I put about 2 3/4 quarts in but it's so hard to read the stupid dipstick when there's fluid over the whole thing. :confused1

Back