• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad Fuel Pump??

Majo

NAXJA Forum User
Hey

88 XJ 4.0 auto

So my XJ left me stranded this morning, but it's not too bad jsut across campus and it's pretty cold like 20 degrees out.
I was wondering if I may have a bad fuel pump.

Here are the symptoms
The pump takes a long time to prime - followed by whining noise in rear
Will crank over and start up to like 1500 2000 rpms, but dies the second you touch the gas or shortly after it spikes up to that rpm range. (This only starts like this intermitenly)
I checked all the plugs and they are firing.
When turning off my truck it follows with the whining noise

I am gonna go buy a feul pressure gauge and test it out cuz that's cheapest way to start. Lemme know what you think, as far as I know it's the original pump. I'll prob hop right on it and change the fuel filter as well

Yea i would deff. check the fuel pump....i dont know if there is any sure way of telling buy i know my 93 had a bad fuel pump b/c of that humm from the back of the jeep...it got to the point where it sounded like a giant bee nest was back there and then i couldnt take it anymore so i changed it...never actually had a problem w/ it running though no matter how loud it got. Auto Zone sells em for 100 bux and the job took me about 2 hours mainly b/c the bolts holding the tank straps on were all rusted and i needed to take the tank down b/c i couldnt break the seal to the old pump from the angle i was at. (I dont recommend the auto zone fuel pump if you have the extra money to get a better brand...by the time i went to sell it 7 months later...it was already slightly hummin again) Good luck

Same exact symptoms i had when my 89's pump went out. I could even put it into gear and idle down the street, but tap the gas and it died. Easy to replace the pump (around $85?) and change your inline fuel filter while you're back there. ($8?) should take around 1 hour total to replace.

Back