• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transmission cooler

MattAlpha

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a manual 6 speed 4.0.
I'm looking to two approximately 2000pounds cross country in a U-Haul trailer. I've got a class III hitch and I've towed similir loads to and back from VT to VA. I haven't had a problem in the past, but I feel that it would be at least safer it I installed a transmission cooler.

Does anyone know of a transmission cooler that I install onto my existing transmission? I did see that Hayden makes a few, but I'm not sure if they're for autos.

Thank you.

Erm, "manual six speed?"

In order for that to work, you'd have had to have swapped in an NV5600, or a Borg-Warner six-speed (like late Camaro) or a Richmond Over Drive 6-gear box...

And, if it's a manual, heat isn't a big enough issue to warrant a cooler, unless you're doing something like a Viper and running about 200mph.

Besides, a manual transmission is "splash" lubricated, where the oil is circulated by being carried about on the gears. There isn't a pump (usually) to circulate oil thru a cooler.

And, since there is no torque converter and the clutch is outside the case (the two major sources of heat in a slushbox,) you aren't going to generate that much heat in the first place. The main problem with towing with a manual is clutch wear - until you get used to the extra pull you need and change your response accordingly.

However, if you've got an automatic, I'd suggest a decent cooler even if you don't tow, to increase the service life of the transmission. But, if it really is a stick, don't bother. If it's really a 6-speed, I'd like to know how you did it...

5-90

Thank you very much for the advice.

I knew how the oil coated the gears, but I kept having people tell me that if I was going to tow a trailer out to CA that I'd need a cooler. That makes perfect sense why I hadn't experienced any problems towing over good distances in the past.

Back