• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Over my head in problems and need help

alexgalexg

NAXJA Forum User
1998 Jeep XJ AMC 4.0I6
I do not take my jeep to mechanics. I put the engine in and restored my jeep myself. I took it to a mechanic for 2 things.
1 to properly charge my new ac
2 to examine my fuel trims

Objective 1 was completed with great success. Even on the lowest setting it blows so cold I had to turn it off at one point.
I got more than I bargained for with objective 2. He did get to see the fuel trims for a brief time which he said looked very low but that he would check what they are supposed to be at in the morning. But it also suddenly threw a bunch of codes. Something that hasn't happened before to me. I will attach photos of the trims and codes below.
I asked him to check my fuel trims because the jeep pings if it's not using premium fuel.
When he went to show me the codes we had trouble connecting to the computer. Every time he plugged the tablet in the dash would stop working and the airbag light would turn on and the reader would have issues connecting. Sorry if this is scrambled but in very overwhealmed
e1fe4647e49aa247d5b6b4f4a7b9a414.jpg
407f434dfcb4789ab982e15c35fc6a7f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Fuel trim numbers are well within normal parameters. -5% to +5% is considered normal operation.

As for the communication glitch, I lean towards an intermittant short on the data line. Probably near the OBDII connector seing as how the issue presented itself after connecting the scan tool.

Try a different scan tool just incase there are programming or hardware issues with the Autel your tech was using.

Fuel trim numbers are well within normal parameters. -5% to +5% is considered normal operation.

As for the communication glitch, I lean towards an intermittant short on the data line. Probably near the OBDII connector seing as how the issue presented itself after connecting the scan tool.

Try a different scan tool just incase there are programming or hardware issues with the Autel your tech was using.
I'm going to do a deep reset to clear the codes. Not sure why my engine pings when if I have proper fuel trims but this is a start

If you get a chance, look at the timing numbers! You'll need something portable for this.

You could even check the actual timing against the computers adjusted timing to see if they match. When you put the engine in, did you replace the flex plate? And has it done it since the engine e swap?

I agree the fuel trims look normal but they also need to be seen under load. I also once had a newer f350, I connected a Ford scan tool to it and it did the same stuff. Dash going crazy, no communication, etc. Used another scanner to read it which was ok. Never had any other issues with the Ford one, owner didn't feel like chasing it since it had no other issues.

Did you ever solve the fuel injector issue?
https://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1148084
The mechanic did say that under load of 2,500 rpm the trims did not change much.

I bought the xj as a barn find with a bad engine so this is the only engine I've ever driven this vehicle with and this problem has never occurred before. Only thing it's always done is ping without premium fuel which is why I suspected a lean burn.

The ksuspension fuel injectors did not have the correct flow rate for my HO 98 xj so it never did run correctly and I put the originals back in. Will be purchasing different injectors at some point.

I will do the factory reset in the morning and see if the codes come back but I have one question in the meantime that has me stumped. What else could be causing my ping! The fuel trims are aparently good so it's not running lean and it's not running hot or down on power. Does not hesitate and idles like a top. The only thing I'd have to try is the timing tip.

Maybe I'll take it back to them to see if it's off but I did the timing myself as per service manual instructions before I put the engine in so I dont see why it would be wrong.

I asked about the flex plate because I've seen lots of bad ones. It's possible yours is slightly causing the ignition timing to be too advanced. But you need to see where the timing actually is before you do anything else. What spark plugs do you run?

I asked about the flex plate because I've seen lots of bad ones. It's possible yours is slightly causing the ignition timing to be too advanced. But you need to see where the timing actually is before you do anything else. What spark plugs do you run?
I did not replace the flex plate but I did not see anything wrong with it to begin with so I left it as is. It was round, without bends or any damage that I could see. Anything I could do to see or test if its bad?

I run champion coppers since that seems to be what everyone says these engines run best on.

I'm not sure how to check the timing now since I cant really access the balancer without removing the radiator in order to turn the crank to top dead but with the way the distributor bolts on I feel like you can only be extremely off or spot on with the timing.

Little update. I checked the grounds they all looked good in my opinion. I also pulled all three connectors from the computer to make sure no corrosion took hold and am happy to report that they are spotless.

I have attached a video and a picture

The picture is of some grounds I want confirmation I installed correctly. They are the grounds on the coil

The video is the cold start after the factory reset. I drove around and tested it. Threw no codes and ran like a top

https://youtu.be/95mMFsyPsDY
e88230de4820bc1f350d4d1de9033585.jpg

I think the consensus is to take it to the shop so I can hook one of those 8k readers up and watch the timing. Not sure what happened the last time they hooked it up but my cheapo acutel talks just fine.

One thing I didnt do was a ticking chain and gear set because the engine was very low miles but maybe that's off by a small amount

Yeah gas guage works. And my plugs looked fine last time I checked. I'm going to run a compression test at some point so I'll see the plugs then

Looks like the scanner pictured is in generic mode.

IIRC my 98 had similar issues when I hooked my Maxisys 908 up using the generic OBDII setting. Entering the VIN and using the correct Chrysler adapter and mode solved the issue.

Looks like the scanner pictured is in generic mode.

IIRC my 98 had similar issues when I hooked my Maxisys 908 up using the generic OBDII setting. Entering the VIN and using the correct Chrysler adapter and mode solved the issue.
Thank you I will make sure i put it in the vin specific mode next time i can get my hands on it

Ok so took a trip to the shop today. That bunch of codes was because the dude didnt plug the reader in correctly. Here is what I had the shop check.
Wiring
Compression
Upstream o2
All data from obd II

They are as baffled as I am as to why it pings without premium and has had 2 cracked heads in 2 years 25,000 miles. They said it's running perfectly. They did notice the compression was a hair high (in the attached photo) but that is likely due to the new head in December. And the numbers are not high enough to really be causing any issues.
They also said even if the timing jumped a tooth it would be running like crap.

Any other tips? Really worried about this thing blowing a head in the winter... dont have a garage
005a3815ae41db1d1806cffef1ed35bb.jpg

Only thing I can think of is there is excess carbon build up on the pistons.

The only other option is either the block or the head was decked too much and a shim or thicker head gasket is required.

Just spit balling.

Only thing I can think of is there is excess carbon build up on the pistons.

The only other option is either the block or the head was decked too much and a shim or thicker head gasket is required.

Just spit balling.
Pistons are very clean. Checked on that in December. What little carbon there was I used seafoam and scrubbed off

Those numbers may be on the "higher" end, but by no means "high".

Those numbers may be on the "higher" end, but by no means "high".
I'd check the timing chain so see if maybe it's just a bit loose (maybe a quarter of a tooth off) but that's so much work for possibly nothing wrong I really dont intend to do so.

Back