• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

smogging a megasquirted renix

metalman

NAXJA Forum User
this is a semi tech question, but you guys are going to be the experts on this one, and I will probably wind up getting stationed in cali again soon, so I hope you guys don't mind.

I've got a 90xj, currently with the renix ECU

the question I have is if I would be able to get away with replacing the renix ECU. Legally I know the answer is as always in cali a big "NO". However, the renix isn't OBD compliant anyway, so no CEL and no plug-in, so would they have a way to tell the difference unless they physically laid eyes on the ECU and checked the circuits involved?

also, I have heard quite a few people talk about the intake manifold, again is this something that they know to really look for? I understand your supposed to have an EGR (an outdated device anyway) but would they notice the difference between an original manifold and a post 98 manifold with an egr hookup welded to it? I know all the vac lines will need to be in place, and it will have to "look" factory, but how in depth do they really go?

The engine will have a clean tailpipe test, I'm not worried about that, I just don't want to get stuck again with a "clean" car failing tech for BS reasons.

it all depends on the smog guy, when I smogged my MJ the guy looked over everything with a find toothed comb... tested the EGR, pulled out the vac line diagrams, everything. some do it all, some just stick the sniffer in the pipe and go.

this is a semi tech question, but you guys are going to be the experts on this one, and I will probably wind up getting stationed in cali again soon, so I hope you guys don't mind.

I've got a 90xj, currently with the renix ECU

the question I have is if I would be able to get away with replacing the renix ECU. Legally I know the answer is as always in cali a big "NO". However, the renix isn't OBD compliant anyway, so no CEL and no plug-in, so would they have a way to tell the difference unless they physically laid eyes on the ECU and checked the circuits involved?

also, I have heard quite a few people talk about the intake manifold, again is this something that they know to really look for? I understand your supposed to have an EGR (an outdated device anyway) but would they notice the difference between an original manifold and a post 98 manifold with an egr hookup welded to it? I know all the vac lines will need to be in place, and it will have to "look" factory, but how in depth do they really go?

The engine will have a clean tailpipe test, I'm not worried about that, I just don't want to get stuck again with a "clean" car failing tech for BS reasons.

You still have an out-of-state driver's license? You should be able to register your vehicle at your HoR as well - which will cut out the Smog crap.

I'm half tempted to register my 88 with family in IN after the refit, just to get smog out of what's left of my hair...

I'm a Marine, and the base commands in all their infinite wisdom force us to pass cali emissions to get on base, no matter where your from, which ends up juicing a lot of guys out of a lot of money. I understand its state air, and I hate guys that cut their cats and all that, but it isn't about emissions or else it would be a tailpipe check, its just a gimmick for the state to fine people , and the shops to make money yanking them around about their car while the lefties can tell themselves they aren't trashing the planet as bad as they all actually are driving to their stupid rallies.

what I'm getting at is that I can tune a megasquirt setup to pass emissions, but I need to make sure I can pass the visual tech as well. The egr I now know needs to be working, and the vac system needs to at least be in place and functioning to some degree. I'm going to keep the stock wiring harness in place, so it looks normal, and then splice into it or route my wires through the factory jackets so it looks innocent. Does someone have the reference they use for checking an xj, the state regs won't even discuss an issue like this with me, and i don't know where else to look that gives a specific breakdown besides "you can't change anything at all no matter what ever for forever geecaliissotufftopasssmogthissucks". If someone could point me towards the reference, I know there has to be a way to work with this since the vehicle isn't obd anyway.

it's probably going to come down to how nitpicky the smog guy is. the last two times i smogged an egr equipped vehicle, the egr function was not checked. just a visual to see that it was there and the hoses all connected, then the sniffer. passed anyway.

Yeah, bingo to what Hellbent said.

Last couple/few times they just looked to see EGR was there. One guy actually was surprised the computer told him to check for it. They haven't tested EGR in any way. Just visual confirmation of its existence.

on mine they got me for the little heater hose that goes from the exhaust manifold to the airboix. i failed for not having it.

Without going into too many details, he's military non-resident. California doesn't require him to smog, nor change to CA plates since he's not a resident.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/militaryvr.htm

The base will require him to smog, however they have no way of verifying that printout from the smog shop was for his vehicle, other than his vehicle info is printed on it.

on mine they got me for the little heater hose that goes from the exhaust manifold to the airboix. i failed for not having it.

thanks, I'll make sure the new setup has that as well

out of curiosity, since the xj's came with headers anyway, has anyone had problems building their own headers and "ageing" them a bit to look factory? I figure with the stroker it might appreciate something more efficient.

I honestly expected there to be write ups and a bunch of info on doing this since the 4.0 just begs to get stroked and the xj is about the only fuel injected vehicle I've heard of that isn't obd compliant, when I get the new motor put in I'll have to explain how I made it all look stock, so far I think the newer intake might be the biggest problem, but it doesn't sound like they would have much of a way to know unless they knew the cut off years for the manifold itself.

I got passed by taking the sleeve off the exhaust manifold, he looked for it and did not see it so passed me. He did not ask about it so i did not tell.

They have never tested the EGR only make sure it was there.

I got passed by taking the sleeve off the exhaust manifold, he looked for it and did not see it so passed me. He did not ask about it so i did not tell.

They have never tested the EGR only make sure it was there.

guess it is all about the technician doing the test. i took my original one off because it was all torn up and they dont really do any good. but sure enough it was on his checklist and he saw it was gone. just something to keep in the back of your mind i guess. not saying you WILL fail for removing it, but its possible

Back