• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tucking the rock rails in

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, so I tweaked a bit my rocker panels (actually quite a bit), so now I"m thinking: the damage is fairly underneath (the pinch seem dissapeared upwards) and I can open my doors freely (after shimming the lower hinge :D).
So.... my rock rails hang just about 1/2" (maybe a bit more... hard to tell now as things are kind of crooked) below the rocker panel. The damage came about because when I landed on the rock rail (and I didn't land THAT HARD) the bolts on the front leg bent out (I'm surprised my frame rail didn't do something pretzelish) and the front of the rock rail went up and did it's did and didn't come down until I went at it with a sledge. Anyways, I'm thinking about tucking the legs right up against the floor so that both parts reinforce themselves (and no movement on the rock rail thus no room for it to gain momentum to damage things). Anyways, has anyone done something like that? part of work will involve folding the pinch seam so that I get a flush line from the frame rail across underside of the floorpans to the rocker panel. ALso I will probably not be attaching to anything appart from the frame rail (and there it will be 2 bolts going through, utilzing existing holes and 2 self tappers towards the top) as the pinch seam will be folded and the legs of the rock rails (4 on each side) will be tucked up tight against the floor.

Am I going to cause any potential problems? Am I forgetting something?
Oh yeah, I know that I could dump my rocker panels and weld in some square tubing, but my welding skills when it comes welding stuff to sheet metal SUCK (plus that route would involve WAY MORE work and here I just modify my existing rails)

You were already supposed to cut the pinch weld and fold it over where the legs of the rock rails come out from the frame. This makes the rails fit snug against the rockers, at least snug against the pinch weld seam.

Who's rock rails do you have?

Yes, it's a good idea.

:)

Goatman said:
You were already supposed to cut the pinch weld and fold it over where the legs of the rock rails come out from the frame. This makes the rails fit snug against the rockers, at least snug against the pinch weld seam.

Who's rock rails do you have?

Yes, it's a good idea.

:)

I got Ryan's rock rails which have served me very well till now.

Back