• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another 0331 curse

Lawsonmahoney

NAXJA Forum User
So I picked up a 2000 sport about a month ago. Got it for cheap as it has a misfire that the previous owner claimed he hadn’t had time to look into. Without going into too much of a story, I replaced a lot, it didn’t fix it. I did a compression test and I got no readings on 3 or 4.

When I changed the oil immediately after the purchase, I didn’t see any coolant in the oil at all, but the overflow reservoir was bone dry when I bought the car. The PO states he drove it as is for a long time with the misfire (I think maybe a year), which really isn’t bad when cold, but gets horrid when the car is at operating temp.

Here’s the readings from the comp test:

1: 78
2: 82
3: 0
4: 0
5: 73
6: 75

I used the super cheap gauge you can rent from oreillys, but those numbers look super low either way.

So I have no issue changing the head. I’ve decided on the TUPY course, but now I’m worried about the overall engine condition. It seems the coolant was going through the exhaust if it wasn’t in the oil. But is there more I should look? I fear I may end up dropping a head on a block that’s roasted.

I would be worried too! With those numbers and no background to base anything on you won't know until you tear it apart. You might consider a used motor from something like craigslist as it would be cheaper in the long run. I paid 800$ for the 2k in the background just for the wiring harness to repair my existing 2k (in the foreground) but I decided it runs so well to keep it!
IMG_0379_zps6bvsh5yi.jpg

I bought a 2000XJ a number of years ago with similar problems; i.e. coolant overflow always empty. I pulled the head, had it pressure-tested, resurfaced, and I re-installed. No more problems. Suggestions;
1. Don't use "torque-to-yield" head bolts. Use ARP head bolts.
2. One head bolt DOES NOT get torqued as high as all the others (up front I believe). Check a manual to identify that lowered torqued head bolt-it's important!
2. Clean your block and head with lacquer thinner UNTIL a paper towel stays clean after wiping the surfaces. Coat your head, gasket, and block with three(3) coats of aluminium stove pipe hi-temp paint, install everything and torque up in steps.
3. After start and warm-up; shutdown and re-torque the head bolts. Do this heat-cycling a couple of times to insure NO head bolt torque has been lowered while the gasket/paint has been compressing down.

Best regards,

CJR

Pull the valve cover and see if all is working right there with the rocker arms , and if you can put pressure to the cooling system you can check to see if the head is cracked and leaking where they always crack .

3-4 is toast and the rest are kind of low, considering the spec is 125-140 with no more than a 30 psi between cylinders. But those low numbers might be because of the gauge as well. may want to try a different one.

Plenty of guys have dropped a TUPY or Clearwater head on a damaged engine, only to have to replace or rebuild the engine later.

Considering the previous owner drove it for a "long time" with the misfire, your engine bearings may be toast.

Back