• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RENIX: starting issues

GregGA

87 Laredo Galloping Ghost
Hi all. It's been awhile since I posted, but my Jeep has been doing great until this issue.

87 4.0, AW 4.

The last week or so when I go start it I get a click, click and nothing. Try this a few times and same thing, then try it again it starts normally. Battery good, cables heavy duty and terminals clean. Cruiser54, all grounds are refreshed and extras added, including blower motor. Several months ago it was no crank, and that was the ignition switch with a burned terminal.

Tonight I went to start, and nothing. After several tries, while the key was on, the radio display faded to black, and the blower motor would not come on. After awile, I went to start it, and it started like a champ.

Is it possible for the ignition switch to work intermittently, and then normally? I'm stumped on this one. Point me in right direction!

You are describing an electrical problem, take nothing for granted.

Greg, what do the dash lights do when you go from On to Start? Do they dim?

If so, I would suspect the starter is on it's way out. Is it covered in oil by chance?

Hey Cruiser,

This morning it did the click click thing, then the radio illumination went black. Blower worked, but weak.

I tried to go back to KISS. I had checked the negative side battery gtounds yesterday and today looked at the positive. One cable connection I could wiggle some. Took them off and cleaned/tightened them up. You guessed it:;has started 10 times in a row, no issues.

I'll give a final update, but that sure looks like the problem. Reading all your ground refreshing tips before you chase your tail got me to thinking about everything power related starting with the battery/connections.

Stand by and thanks!

Greg

Hey Cruiser,

This morning it did the click click thing, then the radio illumination went black. Blower worked, but weak.

I tried to go back to KISS. I had checked the negative side battery gtounds yesterday and today looked at the positive. One cable connection I could wiggle some. Took them off and cleaned/tightened them up. You guessed it:;has started 10 times in a row, no issues.

I'll give a final update, but that sure looks like the problem. Reading all your ground refreshing tips before you chase your tail got me to thinking about everything power related starting with the battery/connections.

Stand by and thanks!

Greg

That explains a lot.

R C B R C...........

... One cable connection I could wiggle some. Took them off and cleaned/tightened them up.
I have experienced the same a couple times over the years, always loose/dirty battery connections. On a side note, I still have my power antenna disconnected due to the parasitic current draw somewhere in the circuit. I'll find that one someday.

Back