• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacement Steering Wheel For '96 XJ?:

The link you posted doesn't work for me , have you tried the junkyard?

The link you posted doesn't work for me , have you tried the junkyard?

I think he meant this link.
https://www.quadratec.com/p/omix-ada/leather-steering-wheel-95-96-jeep-cherokee-xj-export

I'm not sure what makes it an export model, but the 95 parts diagram has different numbers.

5DP0-4RX8 w/Air Bag, w/o Leather Wrap(Black)
5DP0-5RX9 w/Air Bag, w/Leather Wrap, (Black)
5DX0-8RX8 (X1) w/o Air Bag, w/o Leather Wrap, KDX (Black)
WM23-LX8 (X1) w/Air Bag, w/o Leather Wrap, KDX (Black)
5DX0-9RX9 (X1) w/o Air Bag, w/Leather Wrap, KDX w/EUROPE Horn Button (Black)

The footnotes say X1=Cherokee, and KDX just says "vehicles"?
EL43-LX9 (X1) w/o Air Bag, w/Leather Wrap, KDX w/o EUROPE Horn Button
(Black)

Your best bet is going to be a junkyard or a professional restoration. If you can find a path to coverting to something else, please post up details. I have looked into it in the past, and no one was fully succesful. At best folks managed to mount a steering wheel, but at the cost of turn signal cancellation (or some such loss).

I know Sean (user ID "Souske") managed to replace his '96 XJ steering wheel with a similar one from a ZJ, but there was some sort of modification required to make it work. I do not know what modification.

I know you said you hate covers, but have you looked into the leather ones which have to be sewn on like a factory cover?

I don't know you'd find anything is great shape at a junkyard. The nicer leather stitch-on run about $30-$40. The plastic slip-on ones are garbage.

Every now and then you come across something that has led an easier life. Just last year I found a replacement steering wheel for my 2nd gen Ram in the JY. No defects in the rim. Just had to clean up the horn contacts.

I mentioned the ZJ option because many of those have seen less abuse overall than XJs. Being the more upscale vehicle they tended to start out with better keeping and less abuse.

I literally have no idea why it says non airbag when it obviously has the airbag safety screw mounted on it. I will say it looks exactly like the wheel in my 95 jdm spec rhd that does have an airbag. My leather is shot and I don't like the covers either but im also cheap.

Very odd - but vendors aren't always right, even reputable ones.

My, relatively, low mileage KJ came with a cover; don't know why - & can't easily pry it off to find out. On balance, I prefer the (self-amalgamating) insulation tape on my '98 - if I was cheap I'd have used the regular sticky stuff) but long term plan is find an early WJ 1/2-wood wheel for the Orvis, & that wheel can go on the '98. Shame I didn't remove the '96 wheel or, at least cover it to protect it from damp & sun - but it never occurred to me it had any value - or that I'd still have it all these years later.

Pick a grant/momo/whatever that you like, the adapter, and move on with your life…
XJ’s are not meant to be “restored”.

That only works if you don't mind the loss of some functionality.

Probably a non-issue for a trail rig, but could be a non-starter for a daily driver.

True. Our cruise is mounted on the wheel and I use it daily. Also some states have extremely tight inspection regulations and may not allow an after market wheel or deleting an air bag.

Back