• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

12v Ignition Source in Engine Bay

_R700_

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking to wire my new elec radiator fan (which replaces my factory clutch fan) to 12v ignition so that it turns on and off with the key. Currently I have it wired to a switch on the dash that I manually turn it on and off with, but this is getting annoying and sometimes I forget to turn it on..!

I know nothing about auto elec stuff, so can someone please tell me where I can find a 12v wire that is connected to ignition that I can tap into for my fan?

Thanks

What year XJ??? I would use the switched wire no matter where you get it from, to control a relay for the fan. Get the main power that goes through the relay from the battery but do not forget a proper size fuse between the battery and relay.

I would add that this is really a question for the Modified Tech section and you will find many extensive threads there concerning installing and wiring electric fans.

Thanks guys, will check through all the info!!

Sorry, mine is a 97 XJ and yes its currently setup with a adjustable temp switch controlling a relay but it wired straight to the batt so constant 12v hence why I want it all to shut on and off with the ignition.

I tap into unused/lightly loaded slots in the cabin fuse box, and run the hot wires out through a grommet in the firewall. Easy to figure out which slots are key-on hot, and you don't have to worry about damaging the factory wiring. Relay draws are so low, you can piggyback them on to practically any circuit.

^^ This is true. The average relay coil draws current in the milliAmp range. Given that fused circuits generally only draw around 2/3 or 3/4 of the fuse rating (to allow for inrush at start) adding a small drain is not a big deal.

Just keep track of which circuit you tap into so when it dies you know the reason...

An easy key-on 12 V trigger source (but not power) in the engine bay is the evap purge solenoid wiring next to the A/C accumulator. The white wire on late model XJ's is key-on 12 V. Its no good as a source of power, but its plenty good to act as a relay switch.

Back