• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

yay for gas mileage!!!

DDCxj

NAXJA Forum User
A couple months ago I replaced the entire exhaust except the manifold, o2 sensor, plugs, wires, and cap. I was getting 11-12 miles every fill up including the two right after I did the work. Now I am getting 16-17 around town. I should have done that stuff 2 years ago when I bought the XJ.

Sorry about the pointless post but I'm just happy putting gas in the xj for the first time ever.

Dean

I got that milage running 30's with stock gears and a fairly heavy right foot. I replaced the catyletic converter and muffler with stock parts from Walker. After I put it on, the exhaust sounded a lot deeper so I stuck a rag in the tailpipe to see if it was leaking somewhere and it isn't, the new cat is about a fifth of the size of the old one and creates a lot less backpressure, I don't know why its so much smaller but it is. I also replaced the o2 sensor in the downpipe only because the old one was frozen in the pld pipe and ended up breaking, and plugs were just regular champions and ACDelco wires.
I don't know why I had such a big gain but I'll take it, I'm guessing the cat which wa replacing a completely plugged up one and the 02 sensor had a lot to do with it though.

Dean

Im getting anywhere between 18-20 oN the highway rolling 35s, 4.56gears, 8.5" lift, and many other doodads

Phil Weeks said:
How bad is yours? I'm consistently getting like 15 running with 3.55s and hauling my axles....and I have no idea how.

I dunno, I'm afraid to check. I do know though, when I wasn't running shocks in front my mileage was WAY better. It seems that I'm a little hard on the skinny pedal when I'm not afraid of bouncing into oncoming traffic :D
Billy

I'm getting 15 city/18 highway in mine. All I got is a K&N drop in filter and 235/75 tires (I think they're about 29"). I want a Flowmaster 40 series and headers from someone (who's best? I hear lots of conflicting info).

Back