• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New 1991 XJ Mild Build

JMTsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
First post, couldn't find a new member area, so a short introduction before my questions. I'm coming into a 1991 XJ 2 Door Sport with the 4.0, probably the 231TCase and D30/35 (suck) in a few months. So I'm trying to learn about XJ's. I'm a Jeep TJ guy and my build there is almost done. Just have a TT to go. If you want to see my 4.25" build on 33's regeared to 456 and a D44 swap locked front and rear, that build is 60 pages here.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/05-flame-red-tj-build.3998/

If you don't, great, this is about an XJ. Looks like there is a lot of crossover with TJ's. The rig is for my daughter and twin sons. It will be mild. Run on forest trail roads in the PNW, doesn't need to go everywhere my TJ can go, but most places would be great since we can wheel together. It will be a DD.

This will be a dirty build. I'm willing to do a junkyard suspension. What coil springs and leaf springs am I looking for there? I'm a total newb to leaf springs. Looking for enough lift to run 32's, but possibly just 31's. How much lift will I need? I don't want to get into a SYE and DC and would like to avoid a TCase drop (if I can). I don't want to cut corners though and lose uptravel. If XJ's are like TJ's there is a zone where you may or may not get vibes. I'm willing to go a little higher and take the risk. Can you do MML to correct vibes if you're just on the threshold? What shocks? Do Rancho 5000X run well? Want it comfortable for DD. Can you use body lifts on XJ's to remove some bump and make more room for tires? What adjustable front trackbar(s) do you all recommend? This rig is going to get all fluids changed first, then remove pinstriping, detail the white paint, paint the bumpers and possibly the wheels. They're stock, probably 15x7, I could run 31x10.5's or some metric 32x11 equivalents. Don't know the gear ratio yet, I need to crawl under and take a look. I'll do the ZJ tie rod conversion. Steering probably needs it anyway. Form over function build. Wanting to spend sub $2500. I'm willing to piece it all together.

Thanks for your help,
JMT

Welcome to the forum! Your goal sounds very similar to mine, I drive 40 minutes to work every day, but like to get out and explore on the weekends.

I'm sitting on 2 inches and 265/75R16s (measured at a hair under 31in) with clearance and no rub anywhere. I am running TJ Moabs, which I think helps there, because I have had some steering rub with XJ steelies on the same tire size on different rigs in the past. I did a bastard lift using a 2 inch puck up front and a spare main leaf from another XJ with the eyes cut off. The older body style tends to be more forgiving of vibes at lower lift levels, but everyone's experience is different. I havent had any issues, but the easiest way to alleviate that is a transfer case drop if you don't want to go with an SYE. I'm also running Old Man Emu shocks, and am very happy with the ride. Solid on the street, but forgiving enough off road it doesn't rattle me too badly. Since the XJ is unibody, there's no way to do a body lift, as there's not a stand alone frame. Your gear ration is almost definitely 3.55 if you have an automatic, and 3.07 if its the 5 speed. I haven't felt the need to regear yet, but YMMV there. I'd definitely second the ZJ tie rod swap, it's one of the quickest and best factory upgrades I've done to any of my Jeeps over the years.

I think that's most of the points you brought up, hopefully this helps a bit with your build. Here's what mine looks like, right before a 3200 mile move

cHa2ZHJ

edit: looks like the pic didn't post, here's the link: http://imgur.com/a/cHa2ZHJ

Last edited:
@deesiexj

That's a beautiful XJ! Moab's look great on them. Mine won't look that purty, at first, hopefully some body love will get it in shape, paints not bad, just needs a lot of work around the bumpers and detailing.

I wouldn't mind a set of TJ Moabs on either of my Jeeps. You're response is very helpful. Mine's a 5 speed, so the dreaded 3.07 gears. Maybe I'll aim for 31's and it won't be too bad. Good to know about older body styles, I think pre 97 if my research is correct, being less prone to vibes at lower lifts.

Here's a link to my Flame Red TJ just because I can't resist showing her off.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...june-2019-ride-of-the-month.16611/post-374838

That looks great man, I flipped through your build thread some. You said PNW, but bio says Texas. Are you moving up this way? Lots and lots of great places to explore around here, pretty much anywhere you go.

On my last XJ with the 5 speed, I'd pretty much always lose 5th and sometimes 4th on the highway on 30s, so you'll likely be hunting gears if you go bigger than that. Honestly, just to get a little bit of a gearing bump you could try and find a D30 and Chrysler 8.25 out of an automatic XJ and get the 3.55s. That's a real common combo, and if you hit a junkyard on a holiday weekend and get them half off, you can get a stronger rear axle with better gearing for less than the price of regearing one axle. Food for thought...

Yes, we're moving that way. A few more days and the option period for the buyers will pass. Hoping inspection goes well tomorrow. We're planning to move to Spokane, WA, end of July. So plans for wheeling have changed from TX OHV parks to all that WA offers. I'll be looking for rocks (e.g. Rockrim), and over in Idaho too. I don't know a lot about the area. Heard there are some dunes in OR near Florenceville (?). Never ran dunes before.

Ok that's good to know about axle swaps. I can do that, regearing is another ball of wax, possibly doable, but takes a lot of patience and the right tools. It's the one thing I wouldn't touch on my TJ, just gave it to the pro's. Talk about being nervous, but all is good.

D30 and Chrysler 8.25 out of an auto XJ in the $500 range is awesome. Anything but lose 5th and hunt for gears. I did that for a year in my TJ and never knew how suck it was and how awesome re-gearing was till the day I got it back. So worth it.

Send me a link to your build thread on here.

Welcome to NAXJA!

Being a 91 you might have a renix (engine) and if so the best site for all the knowledge is
http://cruiser54.com/

If it's the HO it will be different for certain parts.

Just basic drivabilty things I would......
-Ditch the closed cooling system to an open one if its renix. XJ's a bitch for heating issues and the closed system can be a real PITA. If anything make sure your cooling system is in good condition.
-Brake booster upgrade
-ZJ tierod
-Make sure to look through cruiser page for the Renix things. If not a general tune up is a big help

Junkyard upgrades have a sticky somewhere, but you can find a lot to use. Some things that come to mind
-ZJ tierod
-S10 bastard pack for leafs
-WJ steering pump
-Duragno steering gear
-wj/zj/xj Brake booster upgrade (would 100% get this done)
-WJ control arms-
-ZJ HD fan clutch (noisy buts moves air)

As for axles yeah ditch the trudy5 asap. Ford 8.8 is really popular swap, 31 spline, disc brakes and factory LSD but you're going to have to regear the front as most are 3.73, the occasional 4.10 can be found as well. Some will say a 8.8 would be too big for 31's I disagree. If you want to a bolt up and go, front go with 96-99 D30 and a 8.25 rear. reason for that year front is it will be high pinion and have the bigger u joints. Also you'll ditch the CAD that you currently have.

Lift height under 3" and some sawzall work should be an issue.

Shocks are preference, OME makes great stuff but cost $$. I run Bilsteins on my WJ and really like them my MJ has procomp 1000 and they do fine.

Probably some more things to add but I'm forgetting them

Lots to think about smokeyanks. I appreciate that. Will look into whether it’s Renix. Lots of good suggestions. I’ve got to read to catch up. Most in the TJ world frown on the 8.8 swap, strong, but hangs down lower. I could go for it though on an XJ. Appreciate the help

Lots to think about smokeyanks. I appreciate that. Will look into whether it’s Renix. Lots of good suggestions. I’ve got to read to catch up. Most in the TJ world frown on the 8.8 swap, strong, but hangs down lower. I could go for it though on an XJ. Appreciate the help

Us XJ guys are cheap...... it does hang down a little lower, but for the cost compared to a D44 or building a 8.25 with comparable options (LSD and disc) it can't be beat. 8.25 is a great axle I'll run one in my MJ if I ever get there.....

Two easy ways to tell if it's a renix or not. First, if the 4.0 badge has HO then no. Otherwise look for the coolant expansion tank

cb126a6d2eac839188b4ec749ac5279f.jpg

Us XJ guys are cheap...... it does hang down a little lower, but for the cost compared to a D44 or building a 8.25 with comparable options (LSD and disc) it can't be beat. 8.25 is a great axle I'll run one in my MJ if I ever get there.....

Two easy ways to tell if it's a renix or not. First, if the 4.0 badge has HO then no. Otherwise look for the coolant expansion tank

cb126a6d2eac839188b4ec749ac5279f.jpg

Interesting, thanks for the pic. Renix seem to be phasing out about that time. 90 for sure, 91 not for sure. Yeah, I swapped a turd for a D44 last year. The axle itself with disc brakes and parking brake cables was $800. I pulled the shafts, good, peaked in the diff, looked good at first. When I really got into it the pinion gear has a badly broken tooth and another chipped. I planned to regear anyway. so that was another $1400 and the e-locker another $950. That there is what it costs to build a D44. Geez! But it’s awesome and it gives me confidence.

Not a junkyard lift but it's cheap and rides great
ZJ upcountry coils (moog cc782) new 66$ eBay
2" coil spacer =3.5" lift
Rear 2" iron lift blocks and new ubolts
1-2" lift shackles.
T-case dropped 1", although your 91 May not need it.
ZJ tie rod
Xj 8.25 rear-jeep liberty 8.25 disc bolt on
I've got JK moabs(cheap) with 265-70-17s
I did splurg on shocks though I'm running bilstien 5160's
Rides better than my LJ on 35's did

If you do it all yourself you can save a lot of money, I would buy a good track bar for sure, I'm running a steinjager double adjustable, my alignment shop guy loves it! Lol.

My first XJ was a 90 2 door sport, similar to yours. With the factory track-lock rear diff, 31s on stock wheels and a 4 inch suspension it was very capable. The only mods were suspension and armor - no driveline mods at all.

rock sliders are a great upgrade
a basic lift with 3.5 to 4 inch springs front and rear - possibly shackles too
Stay with softer spring rates 180-200# if you want compliance
Tire rub should not be a problem at all with 31s on stock wheels - 32s may require a combo of bump stops and slight fender trimming
Ranch 9000s may be a good choice for the adjustable dampening for large loads
Sport Old Man EMU shocks work great on my 97 (load stability and sporty but not rough)
A double sheer or standard upgraded track is fine lots of them out there.
Front suspension can be just lower arms and springs (this is sufficient for light rock crawling and reasonable flex) - or get more modified from there like Iron Rock long arm..
Sway bar disconnects are a must.
A headlight harness is a must (radically improves wattage to bulbs and, makes lights much more effective and safer.
The only form of lift is suspension (unibody) 3-4 inches is fine for your purpose and driveline issues will be minimal to none.
The closed radiator system is weird, but mine worked fine for years (in California)

Have fun!

IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/34p02lk.jpg[/IMG]

I know you just moved from Texas, but know that CA has fender laws that require full tire coverage.

Lol I didn't move from Texas.. I still live here and am never leaving

Is there anyone in the North DFW area that I can borrow a flatbed trailer from so I can move? I don't need the help to move just a trailer that I can move. I would need it over the weekend and beginning of next week of July. Hit me up in my inbox if you could help. Thank you

My mistake, I read this and thought......

Back