• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Small amount of in-out play in the rear axel.

Marcucco

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up a vibration all of a sudden about a week ago.
It starts at around 30mph and only happens under load, downhill = nothing.

It doesn't seem change in a turn and I'm not getting any clinks or clunks like a bad joint. I tried applying the breaks while accelerating, still happens.

I stuck a video camera on a magnet and shot some footage of the front drivetrain and it doesn't seem to be coming from there, but I do feel it in the steering wheel.

The only thing I did find is I have a small amount of end play (in and out) in the rear axle, but it's really small, like under 1/8 inch.

It's not a death wobble or anything, more like an out of balance tire, but all my wheel weights are still in place.

Any thoughts? I'm going to lose my garage in 10 days and it's getting cold up here. I gotta get this done ASAP.

Grease all your driveshaft u-joints and centering ball on your cv joints. Lube the splines on your slip-yokes.

Some amount of in/out play happens on a rear axle shaft, especially with a c-clip axle. If you are running a D44, it should be less.

Check your engine/tranny mounts, exhaust against crossmember, pinion nut tightness, t-case fluid level, differential fluid level, as well as drive shaft ujoints (don't forget centering ball on dual cardan)

Thanks very much for the reply guys.
This is a 1996 XJ se

All 3 motor mounts are brand new, (That was my first guess.)

It has the stock "Corporate" rear end, fluid level is good. I was pretty sure the end play in the axle wasn't excessive, I just couldn't remember how much was there before the problem started. (I've owned this beast since 2011)

I did video either end of the rear drive shaft, it doesn't seem to be coming from there.

None of my U joints are equipped with grease fittings, likewise, no grease fitting on the Spicer joint or the front CV's, so I'll have to drop the shafts.
I think I'll see how much the tire shop is going to soak me to check the balance before I go there. There doesn't seem to be any play in the joints but I haven't had it up on the jack stands yet.

Only the front slip yoke has a grease fitting.

I had a problem with the rear pinion coming loose once before, I will check that.

Thanks again for your time.

Check the tires over carefully. I had a broken belt that acted similar to what you're explaining. It was hard to find until the tires got some wear on them. It's scary to think how long I drove it that way really. Would've swore it was a bad rotor...

Generally speaking, if you can feel it in the steering wheel it is a front problem and if you can feel it in your butt (seat) it is a rear problem. You could remove the front driveshaft to see if it eliminates the problem. Sometimes tires "change" as they wear and need to be rebalanced, or there could be internal damage such as a broken belt.

Back