• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I upgraded my alternator to the 136a alternator from a ZJ whats next?

Demolition_x

NAXJA Forum User
Like it says I upgraded the alternator and everything works great. I want to upgrade the wiring is it 100% necessary? Also I read about the fuse where would that be on my 94 xj?

I have been searching all about this upgrade and every other post has different info makes it hard.

Also who is making 2 gauge wire upgrade kits now.

Thanks in advance.

Like it says I upgraded the alternator and everything works great. I want to upgrade the wiring is it 100% necessary? Also I read about the fuse where would that be on my 94 xj?

I have been searching all about this upgrade and every other post has different info makes it hard.

Thanks in advance.

All you really need to do is run a larger ground wire from the alternator to the frame. Make sure all your other grounds, engine to frame, negative terminal to fender, are clean, in good condition and tight.

Well no it's not necessary but that's what modifications are. All I have done so far is the ZJ alternator also but haven't addressed a fuse or wiring yet. 5-90 offers some nice wiring upgrades, search his name.

5-90 came up in a bunch of searches but they all seemed to be from 08 so I figured he was no longer around.

All you really need to do is run a larger ground wire from the alternator to the frame. Make sure all your other grounds, engine to frame, negative terminal to fender, are clean, in good condition and tight.

Which wire is the ground? I would have imagined that the stud on the alternator would still be holding back upgraded wiring.

All you have to do is go to 5-90 website (http://www.geocities.com/JeepI6Power/index.html) and email him. He is very nice to deal with. He is also very smart about his stuff that he sells. Or you could talk to someone that could crimp the ends on locally. I drove mine (98) for about 1 year with out doing the wire upgrades.

Many go the ZJ route for more output at lower RPMs then the stock alt. Because of extra lights big amps and low rpm type of offing. If this is true for you? Little is needed in the way of wire upgrades.
The mod is needed because your alt can't keep up at low RPM not. Your wires make little difference then.
Besides once your ALT get warm. You will never see any were near 136 amps out of it.

Last edited:
Upgrading the battery cables and charging system wiring is recommended for when your system needs to use more of the 136A alternators supply capability.
The wire going from the alternator to the PDC terminal has a small bump inside which is the fusible link. That wire should be upgraded to 4 ga and install a fuse of 150A inline.
The wire going from the the negative battery terminal to the fender should also be upgraded to 4 ga.
I built battery cables with 2 ga fine stranded wire, fusion connectors and heavy duty shrink tubing with sealant inside to seal out the moisture.
As for the alternator I used a '98 GC 136A alternator and swapped the pulley's since I found the GC pulley to be larger that the XJ pulley. You are creating an overdrive affect much the same as when you increase the size of your tires and leave the gearing the same. If you leave the existing pulley in place the new alternator would have to spin faster to load up.

I fabricated two sets of cables in '03 (present and future set) and installed the alternator 3-4 years ago when the factory alternator went bad. The charging system works very well even in cold weather.

Thanks in advance.

2AWG is overkill - 4AWG is fine. "Overkill" isn't a bad thing, but a balance should be struck (4AWG will be just fine, unless you plan to go larger still.)

Upgrading your wiring is a good idea - the OEM stuff is typically "just enough" for the design application, and with a reduced duty cycle. If you want to take full advantage of your upgrade, you may as well finish the job!

(link in sig)

All you have to do is go to 5-90 website (http://www.geocities.com/JeepI6Power/index.html) and email him. He is very nice to deal with. He is also very smart about his stuff that he sells. Or you could talk to someone that could crimp the ends on locally. I drove mine (98) for about 1 year with out doing the wire upgrades.

Update your links - I had to move a while ago. The GeoCities service was shut down (although the old site is still up - go figure!) and I'm now at www.kelleyswip.com. I've updated all of the links I know about, and I'm planning on updating the site fairly heavily once I get a chance (I've been organising "Tech Reference" info,) so you're going to end up losing stuff if you refer to the old links...

@Demolition_x - I've no idea why you couldn't get anything past 2008 from me here. I'm a regular on something like seven Jeep boards, and I check them every day (typically at least twice.) Besides, does my post count look like someone who has been idle for 2-3 years?:eyes::anon::rof: (Same moniker on all boards, by the way...)

Update your links - I had to move a while ago. The GeoCities service was shut down (although the old site is still up - go figure!) and I'm now at www.kelleyswip.com. I've updated all of the links I know about, and I'm planning on updating the site fairly heavily once I get a chance (I've been organising "Tech Reference" info,) so you're going to end up losing stuff if you refer to the old links...

@Demolition_x - I've no idea why you couldn't get anything past 2008 from me here. I'm a regular on something like seven Jeep boards, and I check them every day (typically at least twice.) Besides, does my post count look like someone who has been idle for 2-3 years?:eyes::anon::rof: (Same moniker on all boards, by the way...)

Well I never looked up your name. Your name popped up in quite a few alternator and wiring upgrade threads i searched for and in those posts people said that you were no longer around.

Thanks for the info. I would like to get a set of cables from you.

Yeah for some reason I could not pull his page up on cell phone. Thanks for pointing out.

Hm. Basic HTML - should come up on pretty much anything. No frills, no Flash, no chrome - just information presented in (hopefully) an easy-to-understand format.

Get it figured?

Back