NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Other Technical Forums > Advanced Fabrication and Engineering
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Advanced Fabrication and Engineering For when your build is going off the charts. Wildly modified vehicles and straight up buggies welcome.

Old July 9th, 2017, 13:10
NAXJA Forum User

1979 f150 Axle swap

I have a 1996 xj that has an 8.25 in the rear and a dana 30 in the front.
I have a ford 9 inch rear axle and a ford dana 44 rear axle that I'm looking to swap into my jeep.

im wondering what all will have to be done to the jeep and these axles to work on an xj.

Any information will be a help.
thanks.
Old July 9th, 2017, 20:48
NAXJA Forum User

Re: 1979 f150 Axle swap

A lot to get two rears swapped in...all joking aside, what is your experience level? Do you have metal working tools? Do you plan on keeping stock suspension up front or building from scratch? Is the rear going to stay leaf sprung? What size tires? You may want to regear them while they are out of the vehicle.
Old July 10th, 2017, 05:06
NAXJA Forum Addict

It all depends on your fabrication abilities and what you are really building the jeep for. I would suggest like POSJ said to do the gearing and everything while they are out of the jeep.

With the axles being from 1979 they have the cast wedges on them meaning you are pretty much stuck with keeping those and just modifying the factory ford arms. If interested i have a build thread of my jeep where im putting in the exact swap you are doing and keeping the factory ford radius arms and just modifying them.

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1107470

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMSET View Post
never a time where a good boob does not fix things
Old June 19th, 2018, 11:02
NAXJA Forum User

Old thread but wanted to add some 9" info.

To swap in a 9" you will need to cut off the stock perches/mounts. I used a couple Diablo 1mm cutoff discs and a grinding disk on a 4.5" grinder. Then used a 60 grit flap disk to smooth everything down and clean up the tubes.

I then put the 9" under the XJ and used my jack handle with an angle finder to find the correct pinion angle needed. This was ~20 so I set the pinion angle at 18 degrees according to various driveshaft manufacturers wanting it ~2 degrees under. XJ leaf spring perches are 44" apart center to center

My 9" is 65" wms to wms so I measured in 9.25", set the perches on the tube with the angle finder on them at 0 degrees (pinion tilted up 18 degrees from horizontal). Then tacked them on.

My XJ at my buddies garage and my welder is at my house so I will bring the axle back and test fit it. If I need to adjust it's very easy to knock the perches off and reposition them before fully welding it.

Once it's test fit I will then cut out some 1/4" thick shock tabs.
Old June 22nd, 2018, 05:58
NAXJA Forum User

pinion angle depending on lift obviously...

i just bolted my leafs to the axle using the U bolts and perches, then set the vehicle weight on the axle (carefully). dont recommend crawling under it, i also put jacks under the chassis for safety. set pinion, make sure its centered... i dropped it to make each adjustment to take load off the axle and make it easier. do a final check... tack, tack... pull it and burn in.