• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering box (DED)? ....squeakky haha

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
guys I took a nice long drive today and upon pulling into the garage my steering box has a rubbery squeak going on. its from the steering shaft input to the box. Im trying to get a video of this up.

my concern is simply what ,if anypoint is a steering box smoked.

Can a box fall apart or any such catastrophe or is it simply a part that degrades and makes your steering worse as it dies? I just dont want to fly off the road hahaha.

thanks kindly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUQHomyglWU

Last edited:
Its hard to tell from the video, is there lateral play in the input shaft?

I have been rebuilding boxes for a long time and have done over 100. Steering boxes are designed so that if the hydraulics die, you can still manually steer. I have never seen a box disconnect the steering capability. Having said that, I have seen boxes that were run dry or had water in them that got very hard to turn, but that does not happen overnight.

Rebuilding is an option, but only if the core is still good. Not all rebuild kits have all of the bearings, mainly the pitman bearing. Some have been so abused that they are beyond salvaging. Another problem with rebuilding is that the quality of the seals available today is crap. I quit rebuilding because even with meticulous attention to detail, having all the tools, and tons of experience, I was running about a 50% failure rate due to leaking. Just realize, rebuilding a steering box is not only time consuming and requires some tools, but it is very easy to screw up a seal putting it together even if you have experience.

Rebuilds from Autozone, Checker, etc are all pretty much done by Cardone. Talk about a bunch of crap. Your best bet is to go with somebody like West Texas Offroad, or other well know rebuilder.

How unfortunate, these days I try to do as much as possible myself, rebuilding would have been a nice option.

I have experienced driving after a powersteering line burst on a trail. The steering does become difficult, I just kept adding motor oil to get me home. Its reassuring to hear they are designed to still allow movement.

I'll gladly look into your recommended rebuilds and any other highly recommend. Are PSC, remanufactured?

Thank you for all the help, it is much appreciated!

If you are willing to spend $$, something like PSC is the way to go. I believe that IM4x4fab has the redhead or whatever upgraded boxes. I do not drive my MJ much, but picked up a Lares reman box from O'reilly auto parts. Less expensive than the house brand. Seems to work fine, does not leak and no noticeable slop.

yeah I REALLY dont want to spend that sort of coin on a new box. I also would really hate spending 150-200 on a refurb to have it crap out.

Does the oriellys warranty cover seals or sloppy steering?

JY box in and Holy S!!T the world of difference is incredible. I have steering response again!!!

Anyone looking to fix there's, go look for one that's not leaking and your set.

Every once in awhile I still have a click upfront. it's not the track bar as far as I know because that's new, though it does have Johnny joints on both sides.

Upon replacing steering box spacer did come out in tact.

Anyway one more fix down, well worth the time.

Back