• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fitting a 31" spare in stock location

BALTANAKT

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

Put my 31" spare in and due to the size, it is of course tweaking the tail gate.

Just curious if any of you had any tips for getting it to fit?

Plan for now is to try and raise its height, then move forwards a bit.

Thanks!

I had a 31” spare in my ‘96. If memory serves I had to lay my back seat down to get it in, but was able to put it back up once I got the tire mounted. I also put the mounting rod through one of the lug nut holes instead of using the center hole. This allowed me to move the tire forward some. I didn’t use the round plastic piece.

I also put the mounting rod through one of the lug nut holes instead of using the center hole. This allowed me to move the tire forward some. I didn’t use the round plastic piece.

Yeah, I do the same thing - that will get it out of the way of the liftgate. I used a longer eye-bolt in place of the stock rod. I've left the rear seat down since the day I bought the Jeep, but a 31" will interfere if you want the seat raised. You can slightly relocate the rear seat catches to fit. Bleepin' Jeep has a video on it. Very easy.

I think it really comes down to the legitimate dimensions of the tire. I had a 31" Destination MT on a stock Jeep rim in the factory space and had no fitment issues at all.

Could you mount it at 14 PSI (trail pressure) and get a little "give?" That's not a great option if this is a street vehicle though.

have to lay my 33 flat, but still fits back there.

need to get my tire carrier built, gets old looking for things around/behind/under the spare

I trimmed a tiny bit of plastic off the trim in the back but I didn’t have to touch the tailgate. And I don’t have a backseat so I can’t say how that fits.

Messed around with it a little today.

Doesn't like to stay where I'd like it. (half an inch of clearance from the tailgate) It tends to fall back towards the gate regardless of how much I tighten it down.

I think next steps are to build a support underneath the tire.

BTW, I am running 31" duratracs.

Back