• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 overhead console RKE (keyless entry) questions

gba88

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Guys,
About 13 years ago when I bought my 99, I removed the dome light and RKE board. I installed an overhead console, but for the life of me cannot remember if there was an RKE board in it or not. If there was, it definitely was not hooked up. I want to install a cheap aftermarket keyless entry system, but do not know the best approach/location to wire it in. I had originally though that I'd just tap into the harness in the overhead console, but from pictures I'm seeing online, it does not look like the connector is in there? I haven't dropped mine yet to check it, but looked at many on ebay and found somewhere online where someone said it was integrated into the OHC (maybe in the display panel?).

In any case, my questions are ...first, would the same RKE board be in the OHC along with the appropriate harness, or were the OHC handled differently than the dome lights? The second question is that if I can't jump into the wires in the OHC, where is the best location to get the connections (driver kick panel?)

The 1997-2001 remote keyless entry circuit board is the same circuit board with or without the optional Overhead Console (OHC). All the several dozen OHC I have seen had remote keyless entry, so maybe it was a package deal.

If you are going to install aftermarket keyless entry, you probably should follow the included instructions for where to tap into the wires. If you purchase the keyless entry at a Best Buy or local car stereo shop, the install should be free.

The RKE circuit board location is shown by the yellow rectangle in the picture.

standard.jpg

medium800.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the picture, none I've seen online have the board installed there! i looked at a bunch on ebay, too. Or...maybe it's not visible if it's actually under the black plastic? I just can't remember, but I should be able to at least find the harness I would think since it was originally there when I installed. It's just been too long ago :( The one I was planning on getting was an el cheapo off of amazon for about $20. As long as I find the lock/unlock wires, I'm sure it won't be a big deal wiring it in. The only electrical stuff I have problems with is finding bad grounds...but who doesn't!

Thanks for the picture, none I've seen online have the board installed there! i looked at a bunch on ebay, too. Or...maybe it's not visible if it's actually under the black plastic? I just can't remember, but I should be able to at least find the harness I would think since it was originally there when I installed. It's just been too long ago :( The one I was planning on getting was an el cheapo off of amazon for about $20. As long as I find the lock/unlock wires, I'm sure it won't be a big deal wiring it in. The only electrical stuff I have problems with is finding bad grounds...but who doesn't!

EDIT: just found a picture of one with the edge exposed. I guess it slides in from the side.

You have to disassemble that part of the OHC to remove it. It has screws on the top side.

The OHC harness will definitely have the RKE plug in it. Your best bet is to order a paired circuit board and new key fob from someone who programs them and just plug it in.

Thanks for the link, I actually saw that one last night. I just don't want to be in it for that much cash :( What I should have done was not have gotten rid of my original. The PO had lost a key fob and only 1 came with it. Not exactly sure why, but I was totally against the remote entry at the time and sold it on ebay after putting the OH console in! I could go 50, but anymore just isn't worth it to me. I'd rather just get one from amazon and wire it in. Plus, with the original, you are stuck paying a dealer to reprogram if something happens to one of the fobs.

Back