• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator help

Is your napa alternator under warranty?
I bought an a.c. compressor from them as well and it self destructed immediately. I guess the clutch was jammed in the on position... great quality control. When I took it back I was told "we don't sell this here even though you have a matching reciept" safe to say I'm not wasting my time especially since I don't want any more napa parts. They keep failing

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I put a NAPA re-man in my MJ 5 years ago. Still rolling along.

I put a NAPA re-man in my wife's Camry...lasted 4 years, warranted, been going on 5 now.

I put a NAPA re-man in my Nissan 1.8L commuter...failed after a year, warranted, 7 years ago. 50 miles a day, 5 days a week.

Other than having to replace alternators at an average of 5 years or so, I have not had any problems with NAPA re-mans.

This wasn't a reman but everything napa in my vehicle has broken or just not worked as it should. Maybe this is a recent problem but either way I just want to know if the alternator I linked has been used by anyone here

Alternator from napa is trash. Its not a reman and already chirps and often stops producing power when wet. Need a new one. Anyone have this one in their rig? Is it plug and play? Last a long time?
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3468465&cc=1315943&jsn=380

I cannot say much about the quality of the alternator you bought. I find that having a small repair shop work on alternators and such is often one's best bet. I do like the warranty they offer.

All XJ's belt slip which causes the alternator output to cease. Also the power steering quit working. Both will work again as soon as the belt is dry and the squealing stops. No biggie.

I cannot say much about the quality of the alternator you bought. I find that having a small repair shop work on alternators and such is often one's best bet. I do like the warranty they offer.

All XJ's belt slip which causes the alternator output to cease. Also the power steering quit working. Both will work again as soon as the belt is dry and the squealing stops. No biggie.
Drove my other xj for 300k and never slipped. But this does more than slip it also has a constant chirp to it. Dry or wet

I think you just need a better quality belt that's properly adjusted. :} You still have the rubber piece under the front that keeps spray off the engine? I actually don't but I have the skid plate and never experience the slipping you describe.

That one you have linked gets Ok reviews on amazon

I ended up going with the Durango 160 amp upgrade when I replaced mine

Bought it on eBay, new in Factory sealed Mopar box -- was like $130 to my door

This wasn't a reman but everything napa in my vehicle has broken or just not worked as it should.

Typically NAPA has three part pricing options, good-better-best. Good and better are the same Chinese trash you buy at Autozone/O'Reilly, etc. Are you buying the cheapo parts ?

Find a stock NipponDenso alternator, and have a local alternator shop rebuild it with German or Japanese parts.

Last edited:
Typically NAPA has three part pricing options, good-better-best. Good and better are the same Chinese trash you buy at Autozone/o'reilly, etc. Are you buying the cheapo parts ?

Find a stock NipponDenso alternator, and have a local alternator shop rebuild it with Germany or Japanese parts.
I always purchase the most expensive option. The alternator I linked is the most expensive alternator with a heart next to it on rock auto but I wanted to see what others said about it

The heart just means it’s sold more often than the other brands.

I put a new TYC Chinese alternator in our 91, works fine for two years now although I think there might be so noises from it now.

Personally I’d try for the denso rebuilt since the are the oem manufacturer. Ac Delco might be fine too. Either way I’d run the part numbers on amazon and maybe advance and vato zone to see if any customer reviews show problem manufacturers.

I think the denso part numbers are spaced differently at Amazon, it’d be something like 210- then the rest of the part #.

BTW we have a advance auto rebuilt 4.0 alternator that was replaced 2003 that’s still working. Maybe rebuilt quality has gone down for them since then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alternator rebuild quality is all over the map even within the same shipment. The alternators with a "Lifetime Warranty" are the worst, and have a high failure rate right out of the box. Find a local alternator rebuilder and have it done right with quality German or Japanese parts.

Last edited:
When Napa sold rayloc remanufactured alts starters they did good they switched manufacturer's couple years back alleged the factory is on Texas Mexico border the quality is not the same.

I'm hearing a lotnof bad things about auto parts stores over the past couple years. I grew up putting in auto store parts that lasted just as long as factory. Those days are dead and done. I'm not the only one experiencing this. I'm pretty sure they listed a brand new non reman denso on rock auto. This was just the most expensive hearted option so I figured maybe it was better

New or rebuilt Denso would be my choice I’ve had very good experience with the Denso brand, starters, alternators, ignition coils, radiators, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As for the noise, check the belt alignment. There is the possibility that the balancer or another pulley is on its way out and causing alignment issues.

Back