• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CPS Trouble

gage1414

NAXJA Forum User
Good Evening
I have a 1988 XJ with the 4.0 in it and an automatic trans. Ive had issues with it sputtering, dieing, crank with no start, rough idle, and bad fuel mileage. ive tested all the sensors and all checked out except the CPS. The resistance is good but the voltage test to get .5 volts is bad. I replaced the CPS with an aftermarket sensor and it ran great for a few hours then i started having the same issues. i then checked the CPS again and same result bad voltage. this has happened three times which leads me to believe the ECU may being going bad or is bad. I pulled the ECU and took it apart and found two locations that had burn marks on the circuit board. before doing so I also found 3.5 volts coming from both wires on the CPS plugin.
#1. My question is that is there supposed to be voltage on those two wires and if so how much?
#2. is it possible my ECU is bad and in return burning up the new CPS's i have been installing?

Thank you in advance
Post Script: im sure this has been covered but ive been searching the forum for about three hours and cant find the answers im looking for.

Oem works best. I had an Infiniti G35 that did the same thing. My 98 XJ also had similar issues and burnt a set of Napa distributor and crank sensors. I switched to OEM and it worked.

Is there a wreckers near you where you could try to grab an ECU from a similarly configured XJ? I know the Renix XJs are becoming increasingly rare in the yards here.

I have most of those upgrades on the cruiser website including the grounds and the C101 connecter bypass. i waited for about two months and finally got a true MOPAR CPS and installed it today to the same effect. i drove the jeep for about two hours and the cps failed. started reading about 295 ohms. ive checked just about everything but cant understand why i keep blowing through CPS sensors. ive checked the ECU, grounds, battery voltage, temp of motor and the intake and exhaust mainfolds to see if there was a leak that was causing the sensor to heat up and fail. but i havnt found any reason.

Back