• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HO head vs. Port Non Ho head

JT86XJ

NAXJA Forum User
how much better would the HO head be for a stroker then a no ho head, but ported, I got an extra Jeep here, that Im gonna pull the motor from and make a stroker for my 92, the motors outa a 90. should I port that head or just use the HO head, I plan on pulling one and dropping in the stroker right in, so porting HO head isnt really an option unless it really makes a difference. thanks

Unless you are planning on 5000 RPM Plus the porting won't do much. Using The HO head in a 92 has the advantage of bolting up to the matching manifold, with bigger HO t-body and the HO flows somewhat better than the early head (but you will be unlikely to feel the difference).

Porting is always a good thing. Depending on what porting and valve work is done, the power gains can be realized from idle on up. The issue is what your starting out with. I dont know the key differences between the two heads but if the HO head has bigger ports, better angles, better intake and such, then you should go with that. If anything you can do a mild gasket match port job, polish the exhaust ports, and a good 3 angle valve job. If your going the extra mile to build a stroker, I would do some head work also. Just a thought.
Luda

Well Im goin to school right now for a mechanic so I have all the machines to do the head work, so what I think Im gonna do is port the manifold to match the gasket, clean up the valves, and just use the HO head, cuz Im gonna try to make this a budget stroker...thanks

Back