• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no headlights. need some help

EVIL95XJ

NAXJA Forum User
92 cherokee 4.0 auto

Here's the problem. Bought the wife a xj for a christmas present and while driving ihome I signaled to turn and the headlights cut off and both turn and high beam indicators lit up. I have sence changed the headlight switch with no luck. I have noticed now when u pull the signal arm to switch to high beams there is no click.

Could the dimmer switch on the column be causing my headlight problem?

Thanks, Paul

The dimmer switch could be the problem, but this sounds more like a harness problem, perhaps a bad ground.

I would first check out the wiring harness to the headlights. There's a multi-pin plug, right forward of the air cleaner, which is notorious for corroding, and you can lose all sorts of light functions when this happens. If you unplug that plug, check for corrosion, and then check all the cavities with a test light, and make sure the ground is good, you'll know which side of the plug the problem is on.

While you're at it it's not a bad idea to take the headlights out, and check the sockets for corrosion and damage. They also can get nasty over the years, and even if that's not the basic problem a good cleaning and lube can brighten up your lights a bit.

Back