• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

I should probably look into a trans cooler for mine as well.

Well its easy as hell to install and cheap. Id get it just for peace of mind. Just make sure you tap into the return line. If ya need help doing it lemme know.

Well its easy as hell to install and cheap. Id get it just for peace of mind. Just make sure you tap into the return line. If ya need help doing it lemme know.

Will do. First up is getting this axle done (going to tackle it tomorrow and try and knock the whole thing out in one day). Then comes the Crawl, then comes new tires for the DD.

welded up my rearend, installed rear disc brakes, and with the help of watrousmark got my front bumper just about done and mounted up. it's not really finished or as sturdy as it will eventually be, but it's mut stronger than the piece o' crap that it came with.

EDIT: wow, that picture really blows. i'll take a better one and repost later...
in progress:

5b919dea.jpg

Got a little more than halfway done rebuilding the D30 today. Had everything off (old carrier, ball joints, pinion..etc) in about 30 minutes this morning. Thought to myself.."damn, this is going way too smooth...." Sure enough, looked closer at the install kit, and the oil seals were wrong. Spent most of the afternoon trying to source some locally and eventually found them. Needless to say that put a damper in what I got done today. Finished up the evening by getting the new carrier and locker put together and plan to pick up on it first thing in the morning.

Tim, what was wrong with the seals? Did they have a part number on them? What ended up being the correct part number? I need to inform my supplier so that it doesn't happen again.

Got the passenger side hub and spindle tore down. The new yukon spindle fits right on and came with the bearing installed. Unfortunately, whatever width they cut the front axle down to is not waggy width, so my spare shafts won't work. They're about 4 inches too long.

Started to press the races out of the hub for the new bearings, but the inside of the hub is toast. The outer race just rattles around. So I'm on the hunt for a hub. I might have to wait for the local parts place to order one in.

Tim, what was wrong with the seals? Did they have a part number on them? What ended up being the correct part number? I need to inform my supplier so that it doesn't happen again.

I'll grab the part numbers when I get back up to the shop in a bit and shoot you a text.

If I can find one of the old ones in good enough shape i'll send you some pictures too.

Decided today was the day to fix the 98... finally.

Needs a new engine, new exhaust system front to back, some new sensors, and a new heater core. For now I'm bypassing the heater core because I don't feel like messing with the dash.

Got the engine pulled and stripped down, most of the accessories onto the new motor, tomorrow I'll stuff the new motor in and hopefully get it running and driving again.

I used my crane/ginpole attachment I built for the MJ and I have to say, it worked even better than I had hoped. I don't have a driveway or a garage, so I wanted nothing to do with using an engine hoist, since they just sink into the lawn. A 2 ton chainfall hoist hanging from the 10 foot tall ginpole on the MJ's front bumper made short work of it though, just hoisted the engine straight up and out, then drove off with it dangling at about windshield height.

(this isn't a pic of the engine in question, but gives an idea of what I have set up... this is a 5.2/nv3500/np231j drivetrain, weighs probably twice what the longblock I pulled today did)
411000_634851999632_252412440_o.jpg

Got the D30 together today. First time setting up gears appears to be successful. Won't know for sure till I have it under the Jeep hopefully next weekend.

Thanks again Tyler for the advice and Doug for the set up bearings! :cheers:

did some wheeling with some guys in some great big Scouts. they were on 35's, locked with winches and stuff, and more than a couple of times were heard to say things like:
"that was cool as hell! but i'm not gonna try it...."
and "i will never again look at cherokees the same way"
and even, "the next guy i hear say real jeeps have round headlights is gonna hear from me"

they were very impressed at what a largely stock xj on 32's would do.

this may be the last time that i'll ever get to ride at short mountain, since some new things are afoot there involving the government and conservation and whatnot. we saw a lot of horse riders, and some of them said that it was a different piece of land that was seized, and that none of the jeep trails were affected by the siezure. the part of the mountain where we wheel is still considered a county road with subsidiary trails.
(one of the horse guys is an assessor for cannon county, showed us ID and whatnot so i believe him)
but anyway- nice trip, no trouble and some possibly reassuring info from a guy who might know what he's talking about. i've always loved that spot for wheelin, even though i've heard a few drunk rednecks say that we'd be arrested and sodomized

I saw you guys parked at the gas station. I was over at McDonalds.

Scouts and Jeeps = uber cool

Your XJ is looking good.

thanks Ed! you shoulda come over and said hi!
we had a blast, but i didn't advertise that we were going out there because i didn't know if we'd even be able to wheel out there. did you see us on the way there, or the way back?

You guys were just coming back. It was about 7:15-7:30.

What was the guy going to do with the XJ on the trailer? It looked like a nice XJ.

i thought he was gonna scrap it, bu he said he bought it out of a backyard where it had been sitting for a long time, and he had no idea if it even ran. he said he was going to try to fix it up and drive it.

Jeep wouldn't start at the gas station.. tracked it down to the battery cables and terminals... replaced with 2 gauge Hobart welding cable and brand new terminals. went ahead and added an extra ground as well

Yesterday I got a transmission cooler mounted on the XJ. Still need to plumb it.

Tonight I am driving limo again. The Tim McGraw/Kenny Chesney concert is tonight. 2nd call I got was to pick up Matt Hassleback, starting QB for the Titans, and take him to the stadium. He used his celebrity to get us UNDER the stadium next to Kenny and Tim's tour busses.

Pretty cool!

Back