• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overhead Console

Lowrange2

NAXJA Forum User
Got two questions... Whats the marble sized black ball on some overhead consoles and has anyone got a picture of an overhead console for a 93 COuntry or a list of what other years would work in mine?

I took a quick look at my wire diagrams and it looks like '84 thru '96 used the same wiring combo for the overhead console. I would assume this means you could wire up whichever you would like from those years. I have no idea what the 'black ball' is... I've always wondered myself...

That is for keyless entry. Yes you can make the console work. The plugs and wires may not line-up so match color to color. If you have power locks the keyless may work if the wiring is in the right kick panel.

yeah the plug doesn't matter anymore... the harness that was under the headliner somehow made contact with the roof and SCed tons of circuits... the harness looks like somone torched it... Ill be chopping it off and splicing anyways... i hope the wire colors match... to make my life easier.

XpedientJ said:
So...where is the receiver for the keyless on XJs that do not have the overhead console...??

There is a little black cover inbetween the visors. Thats on the older models. I dont know where they put it on the new ones.

So maybe im just blind but I've looked everywhere and cannot find the bulb number that goes in the plain jane interior lights... the lil squre lights right above your head and all the way in the back in a 93. O Reileys is stumped as well. Page 12-2 of the Haynes manual lists every bulb except!

There werent any bulbs there when i bought the jeep. I have a friend with an XJ but he's out of town so i can't borrow his bulb to take in... still need the number...or a picture or a bulb... :)

plw 212-2. Thats the number on the light in my Jeep. These are not the stock ones. These are a little brighter. I got these out of an 07 Silverado.

LOL that was the bulb that i bought when i went up to the parts store but it wouldnt fit! I went back out there and took the lil metal caps off the end and it fit perfect front and back! Thanks now i have interior lights after a damn year all they needed was bulbs! I thought the wiring was bad.

Last edited:
Back