• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bump stop tower bracing and bump pads

grandrunner

NAXJA Forum User
so im going to be gettin the t&j bumpstop bracket kit put in at the end of the month. i was wondering how to go about bracing the tower or whatever its called, ive seen people plate the outside but is there andything else?anywhere to gusset or strengthen it out.

and also what is everyone using on the axle to raise the lower bump. will the RE extended lower bump work? or would welding in a metal cylinder work as well, im not to concerned about the noise it will make when it hits.

When I did mine, I used 4" round UHMW stock. McMaster sells it in 3"-long sections which worked perfect for me:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/116/3569/=826gpb

They fit inside my 6.5" Rusty's coils, they did not fit inside my 4.5" Rusty's coiils. Might have to shave the outside down a little bit. I drilled and tapped the bottom for a threaded stud:

n24800499_33128532_8751.jpg

and threaded it into the coil seat.

n24800499_33134868_1675.jpg

Notice that I plated the outside...this worked for a while, but eventually it started deforming the whole tower and ripping the seam in the middle of the inner fender. The best thing you can do is make sure the bump hits as square as possible to minimize leverage on the inner fender structure.

We used to run alluminum blocks. Simular to the above. The factory pad weld broke once, and a larger 7/16 bolt broke once. We finnaly just built raised pads from some thick tube that are welded on.

Why not just put the bumps somewhere else instead of inside the spring? I was thinking of putting them there but now with my coilovers i will just be putting it somewhere else... just not sure where yet.hahahah..

Yea i dont know where to put mine either, we will figure it out.. you should race it that would be sick... i love to race mine but dont have the money for it..hahaha

i have that pic of the baldwin truck in the garage. it keeps me humble!

isnt that actually a mezzanine suspension? doesnt cantilever usually just refer to the shocks, like in a LT truck that needs to keep the shocks below the bed?

WE have jeeps, you have a grand! =)

acos pro is for the bolt on crowd.
t&j for the fabbers. after messing with the t&j kit, I would source the materials myself and save, theres really nothing more than cutting out steel on the bandsaw, it doesnt warrant the price imho.

WE have jeeps, you have a grand! =)

acos pro is for the bolt on crowd.
t&j for the fabbers. after messing with the t&j kit, I would source the materials myself and save, theres really nothing more than cutting out steel on the bandsaw, it doesnt warrant the price imho.

after seeing the t&j kit, i went out and made all the pieces myself for mine. the biggest pain was hole-sawing the plates for the bump tube to go through, but other than that i saved a good deal of cashola no doubt..

Just so you know what to expect. Here's how the stock coil seat looks with the bump removed:

n24800499_33128131_1065.jpg

It's got a few stitch welds that hold it on; just grind 'em down and knock it off with a hammer.

Here's mine when I was mocking everything up...

n24800499_33132309_2609.jpg

My travel situation didn't require me to hole saw through anything. I used 2.5" x .25 tube for the bump cans and drilled/tapped holes for set screws in the side of it to hold the bumps in place.

Back