• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Full-Traction, Rubicon Express or Clayton?

metalmulisha68

NAXJA Forum User
I recently rolled my Comanche and have since purchased a '93 Cherokee Sport. I'm looking at some of the higher end 5.5" - 6.5" LA lifts. My question is which is the better lift for an DD XJ and why, the Rubicon Express 5.5" Extreme Duty Long Arm, Full-Traction 6" Long Arm or the Clayton 6.5" Long Arm?

TNT. On road manners are awesome and the skid/mounting system tucks higher than those you mentioned and is beefy. Plus, the design of the arms keeps you from dragging them on rocks and other stuff.

I have a full clayton 8" LA kit and I love it. I DD it 60 miles a day a few days a week and rides great minus the caster problems w/ 8" of lift. Run a quick search on the different lift options, youll find plenty of info on this topic.

Clayton rules the TJ long arm kits, I haven't seen their XJ kit in person, but I'm guessing it should be equally as beefy.

I have to downplay FullTraction, their customer service is lousy. You don't want to get stuck in a warranty situation with them, especially if you'll have to deal with duties/taxes. Never heard anything bad about their long arm kits, but their service is horrid. WTH should it take 8 months to build a bumper? Or a month for a driveshaft? Or 5 months for SOA perches?

I'll personally go with RE due to pricing, but comparing the TJ long arm kits side by side... Clayton blows away the RE stuff.

You should look at BDS!! Awesome setup!!:peace:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb283/chris420_012/FTbrokenswaybarbracket001.jpg

I have a 6" FT Kit and when I broke the sway bar mount and emailed a picture of it to FT they never replied. I emailed the picture twice and received no response. I just welded it up myself and put it back on. I sent a picture asking for a replacement and it was still under warrenty. It was an easy fix but not everyone has a welder. I am not going to buy from FT again just because there costumer service suck's. If I ever need to purchase a lift kit again I will probably go with RE or Skyjacker.

RE for me!

I dont think I have ever seen anyone with the RE long arms with the full belly pan? Nor have I heard anyone speak of it. Are you looking for just quality long arms or a beefy crossmember with them?

Honestly I have installed the RE's long arm kit and it SUCKS!!! your much better off spending your money on a TNT kit.. I personally have a mix of Clayton's crossmember and RE TJ Long arms on my rig..

Clean-RC said:
Honestly I have installed the RE's long arm kit and it SUCKS!!! your much better off spending your money on a TNT kit.. I personally have a mix of Clayton's crossmember and RE TJ Long arms on my rig..

care to tell us why it sucks?

CLAYTON, the long arms i got have already outlasted 2 XJ's and im sure will oulast mine, and Clayton has great customer sevice

I did the RE 5.5 with Drop brackets on 33's. Works great out at Johnson Valley, I'm sure any of those long arm kits or a setup like mine would work fine on the fire roads in that video. :) I like the RE stuff, good quality, I've also heard good about the TNT and Clayton stuff. Just avoid Krusty's.

Like I said earlier....Take a look at BDS, it is a true 4link!! It will cost a little more but woth the money, if ya break it they replace it! Look at all the offerings before ya plunk down your hard earned cash!! Oh yeah, I know someone running the TNT and he likes it a lot BUT would rather have the BDS I am running!! bds-suspension.com

Last edited:
selarep said:
care to tell us why it sucks?

Because of that abortion they call a cross member... totally useless in my opinion.. They spent so much time engineering that thing to be a pain in the butt to install. Let alone forget if you ever have to take it off and getting it to realign again.. Other than that I like their products.. probibly the best control arms out there..

Those are the three exact kits I was considering before making my decision. I heard some minor negative feedback regarding the RE and FT kits, mostly having to do with caster angles and limiting rock-slider mounting options. I decided to go with the Clayton's 6.5" kit, and I don't regret it in the least. It rides very nice on the road, it was easy to adjust the caster angle, and the parts are all beefy and fit well the first time. I haven't heard anything negative about Clayton's, though there are probably detractors out there.

Back