• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will an NP242 Transfer Case From a 96 XJ Fit A 98?

OK, part II ... what about the electronics?

The '98 I'm wanting to swap the NP242 from the '96 model doesn't currently have an NP 242.

a) Will the wiring on a '98 XJ match up with an NP242 from a 1996 XJ?

b) Will the wiring from a non-NP 242 1998 XJ operate an NP242? I want my green "Fill Time FWD" light to work.

Gracias

A)If I recall the tc position sensors are two or three wire pending the year of the t case. You'll need to replace yours likely.

B) wish I could help there, but i haven't a clue, Anyone else?

Does your gauge cluster have a spot to illuminate fulltime? If so perhaps your tcase position sensor is all you need.

If not just grab the 242 shift bezel and you'll always know what mode it's in.

Last edited:
I have poked around about putting an 242 in my '00. Replacing the 231. Just be better in snow and for what I need it to do. Just a DD. Anyway, the full time light is there in the cluster. My understanding is that there is a little piece of wiring harness you need to get it to light. Also looks like you need the shifter, shifter gate, and bezel. Now thinking the bezel would not work, consoles being different, but don't know about the shifter or shifter gate. Also appears that if you don't care if the full time light lights up it will still work in that mode. But this is all stuff that I have kinda gathered from poking around about it here and there. Not sure of anything. If and when I do this I will be taking the parts form a '97 to '01 just to try and reduce any problems that might arise.

I'm planning a similar swap to get 4wd-full in snow and because the 231 is worn out. I've got a 242 from a 93 ZJ I'm swapping into my 89 MJ behind an 98AW4. It should all bolt up and my only real issue seems to be locking the front disconnect. I rearranged the vac lines to cause it to stay locked for now, plus that let me confirm I wouldn't get much extra vibration fromthe front shaft spinning. I'm not too worried about getting the dash light to work, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be hard to rewire the switch on the case up to the vac actuated switch under the hood..

Back