• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shock conversion-shock question

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
Installing re5.5 front coils in my 89 xj, and also jks shock conversion kit and lower bar pin eliminators, how do I order the appropriate size shock now?

... measure?:twak:

asp387 said:
... measure?:twak:

Okay, I have never done this before, usually go by application. I assumed there would be some measuring involved. What do I measure? I dont want to lose any droop or the ability to stuff the way it does right now

the way I see it is, you can call Rubicon express and see what shock they recomend for their 5.5" spring, get the extended and compressed length of the shock and find out how much droop and compression you will have from ride height, if you haven't already installed everything and want to get the shocks before you start.

The easiest way is to install the springs, mock up where the bar pin eliminators will leave your shock mounts, and find a shock that has a travel range that will work out for you.

So just for an example, say your shock mounts end up being 20" apart at ride height, measure how much compression you will be allowed, and the same for droop, say 6" up 6" down for simplicity, then you would need a shock with 12" of travel, with an extended length of 26" and a compressed length of 14", these are all numbers pulled from my head so don't go off of those. Chances are you will not find the "perfect" size shock and you will either have to add bumpstop or limit travel, compromise in some manner.
good luck

I am running 10" travel bilsteins on my 5.5 RE lift. I have the upper shock adapters but using stock bar pin on bottom.

Skullvarian said:
the way I see it is, you can call Rubicon express and see what shock they recomend for their 5.5" spring, get the extended and compressed length of the shock and find out how much droop and compression you will have from ride height, if you haven't already installed everything and want to get the shocks before you start.

The easiest way is to install the springs, mock up where the bar pin eliminators will leave your shock mounts, and find a shock that has a travel range that will work out for you.

So just for an example, say your shock mounts end up being 20" apart at ride height, measure how much compression you will be allowed, and the same for droop, say 6" up 6" down for simplicity, then you would need a shock with 12" of travel, with an extended length of 26" and a compressed length of 14", these are all numbers pulled from my head so don't go off of those. Chances are you will not find the "perfect" size shock and you will either have to add bumpstop or limit travel, compromise in some manner.
good luck
Thankyou scullvarian for taking the time to explain, I appreciate it. Now I know exactly what to do. I had 3" coild with 2 inches of spacer and somehow a 3" procomp worked great for me with a homemade lower bpe.

Skullvarian said:

good luck

Exactly this. If you want a 'compromise', err on the side of more COMPRESSION (ie: mildly shorter) than extension. ;) You'll kill a shock faster by over compressing it (too long of a shock) than over extending it. Monotube shocks like the Bilsteins die quickly when you bottom them out.

Bilstein (or any other shock, really) dealer who can sell to you, bcmaxx, is Central 4 Wheel Drive. They're South of you in WA State. Call and talk to Bill at 800-829-9599 and tell him Phil sent you. Have your eye-to-eye measurement handy and he'll get you set up.

Back