• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TNT Frame stiffeners?

bigolexj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a few questions about the TNT unibody stiffeners. I currently run the Y-Link, but want to add their frame stiffeners to strengthen the unibody as much as I can. I have a 6 point cage, which I intend to tie into these stiffeners. Would adding these stiffeners really improve my ride quality and stiffen the truck up some? Are they fairly easy to install (prep-wise, as I can weld very well).

What is required in terms of preparation to the existing frame rails and do you have to weld up the entire stiffener or is it a segmented weld? Will I need longer bolts for the Y-Link or will the existing bolts work? . Any instructions or tips are appreciated.

I have no knowledge of the system, but having read their site it seems they will work well with what you already have.
having searched and read up on stiffiners they will make a difference for your ride, expecially if your doing a lot of rocks and twisty terrain.
I would think an email to TNT would provide plenty more answers on top of what you'll get here.

Thanks, I've already spoken with TNT and they of course had a lot of positive things to say about their own products. I'm kind of looking for confirmation from an objective third-party.

Anyone with experiences?

The install isin't that hard. Remove the crossmember. Then, soft pad the frame rails. Make sure to get the both sides and bottom. Next, clean and mock up the stiffeners. Using a bottle or floor jack to bend the stiffener to contour the frame rails. Also you can place the crossmember bolts to hold it in place.

I would say next you should trace where the stiffener would be. Then from the inside mark where you drilled throught the frame rails for the sleeves in the Y-link kit. This way you can just drill the holes on the ground. After this set the stiffeners back up, ckeck to make sure they line up, and burn em' in.

They get welded all around so it will take up some wire.

As for the crossmember bolts the six bolts provided in the kit are long enough.

I am running the Y-link kit w/ stiffeners. I think they do improve the ride and they have taken some beating.

Appalachianxj said:
The install isin't that hard. Remove the crossmember. Then, soft pad the frame rails. Make sure to get the both sides and bottom. Next, clean and mock up the stiffeners. Using a bottle or floor jack to bend the stiffener to contour the frame rails. Also you can place the crossmember bolts to hold it in place.

I would say next you should trace where the stiffener would be. Then from the inside mark where you drilled throught the frame rails for the sleeves in the Y-link kit. This way you can just drill the holes on the ground. After this set the stiffeners back up, ckeck to make sure they line up, and burn em' in.

I am running the Y-link kit w/ stiffeners. I think they do improve the ride and they have taken some beating.

That was exactly what I was looking for. Just wanted to make sure I did it right and that it was a good idea to go with these stiffeners to begin with. Sounds like you have a lot of experience with their products too.

Thanks!:guitar:

Just be sure to do a thorough job cleaning your frame rails. I just used angle iron but the effect is the same, a huge improvement over stock and even my cage in terms of stiffness.

Do these get stich welded? I have been doing some research on boxing the frame rails and such, and it seems that is the common method.

Also, how difficult is the welding to the frame rails since they are a thinner metal? Too thin to use a flux-core set up?

I installed the stiffeners and ylink a few months ago. They are nice. The ylink anti-crush sleeves were shipped long enough to work with the stiffeners. If you cut them shorter to fit inside your frame, they will be too short with the added 3/16".

-Jim C

Appalachianxj said:

That description is on the money - I was the TnT guinea pig for 97+ stiffeners, and watched Bob install them at TnT's shop. They are indeed stitch welded, and they significantly stiffened the ride. Plus, I think the best benefit is armoring the fragile frame rails from rock abuse... Good product, and with the front of them bolted to the crossmember holes, it is pretty cool how they form right to the body with a floorjack at install...

and a butt load of plug welds

I have them with the TnT kit, and it was a pita to drill through them when they were installed to put the long arm kit on.

Only thing I would have changed is I wish I hat plug welded it a couple times. I think it would have made it a lot stronger. Just make sure you buff the frame rails well before you weld, and you should be good.

All you would need to do to add plug welds would be: Take the desired sized hole, get a hole saw. Then, drill out holes in the stiffeners and plug weld them. There would only be a hole in the frame rails where the pilot pit went through. That hole could be filled in when you weld it.

Back