• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dark Argent paint code

tlott01

NAXJA Forum User
:banghead:

Hello All,

Does anybody know the paint code for the Dark Argent (silver) color for the fender flares, bumper caps and lower body on an 89' Cherokee Laredo?

I can't find it anywhere I've looked, found the name in the 1989 Jeep Book sales brochure I got from eBay. Codes on the data plates are HWB/PWB for the Pearl White Clearcoat main color.

If I can't find a match I'm just going to paint them Semi-gloss Black and call it good.

Thanks ya'll,
Tracy

89's had painted bumper caps?

No clue what the color codes are. If you can't find them, a paint shop could probably mix up something to get you close.

Yeah, they're listed in the sales brochure and the .pdf factory parts manual, of course they're NLA (No Longer Available). Somewhere in this beasts' past the caps and lower body panels were painted black, but the fender flares are still dark silver (Argent). Found a layer of the same color when I was sanding the lower left rear quarter panel & figured it was worth a try. I've found two silvers in the paint charts for that year, but neither one looks to be the right color. Looks like the bumper caps, fender flares and lower body are all going to be semi-gloss black Rustoleum!

pull your build sheet, should be on there

or hit up auto zone or your favorite auto store. they usually have the popular colors in a spray can ready to go

Got the build sheet from Jeep Customer Service last year - all it has on it for paint is:

APAS - Monotone Paint

It also has some things on it that I'm sure they didn't offer or install back in 1989, such as:

SBAS - Power Rack and Pinion Steering

TMWA - P265/60R18 BSW A/S All Terrain Tires

When I called them back to ask about the paint color and the obviously modern items, they
basically said "that's all we have". Makes me wonder what they were smoking back then...

If I could find the original build sheet in the vehicle I'm sure it would help - where are they usually found in XJs from this era?

Tracy

You could also do Rustoleum hammered silver, on my it's not a bad match for the argent on my '92 Laredo.

Back