• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need front hub advice

Yahooty

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all.
I'm new here. I just purchased my first XJ. It is a 1998 Cherokee limited. When I got this rig it had about 167k miles. It's in really good shape with about the only mod being a rough country 3" lift.

I need to preface my questions with the fact that I'm not much of a mechanic. I can do and understand a few things, but things can get over my head REAL QUICK.

I'm trying to understand the 4x4 system on this rig. For example, right now when I turn a tight turn in 2wd it feels like the front hubs are engaged. I'm about 99% sure the front differential is not engaged (simple test by me, only the back tires spin on ice or gravel).

Is this normal are are my hubs some how locked by design?

the cherokee used a unit bearing.

it is non serviceable sealed bearing that is splined to the axle shaft, always, "locked," or, "engaged." (not to be confused with a locked differential). so i 2WD, the tires are spinning the axle shaft, which spins the differential, which spins the drive shaft. but... transfer case is in 2WD, so the front driveshaft is not engaged by the transfer case.

if you are hearing clicking/popping when turning in 2wd or feeling feedback through the chassis or steering wheel... you are either NOT in 2wd, have worn components, or possibly have a lunchbox locker in the front differential... depending on exactly what symptoms you have of course.

Thank You. I am getting feedback in my steering wheel as I make sharp turns. What is a lunchbox locker? I'll work the differential in and out of 2wd and 4wd on some loose gravel to see if I can unlock it.

check your front axle shafts for worn ujoints, they will make this noise and give you the feeling in the steering wheel if they are damaged, you can wiggle them by hand or stick a bar in there and lift up or down on it there should be no play -no wiggle- at all in it also a quick test to see if you have a mechanical locker is to make sure you are in 2wd - jack one tire off the ground and turn it by hand forward and backward if it spins freely and makes no (ratcheting sound - or like a clicking) then you have no locker - if you cant turn it and it is trying to turn the other tire - or makes the clicking/ratcheting sound in the differential then you have a locker :)

Back