• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ABS light woes - Can't pass inspection

SyCo

NAXJA Forum User
I disconnected my ABS system around a year ago, can't stand the f'ing thing. Well, now my state inspection is due, and I failed it (yet again), because the "Check Anti-lock" light is on. If I reconnect the ABS, it's still on. I can pull the bulb, but then it won't light up at all during the diagnostic test (ask me how I know). So, what can I do, short of reconnecting the ABS and taking it to the stealership? Thanks.

What year XJ? Which ABS system do you have? How did you disable the ABS?

Sorry, it's a 92. It's not the one w/ all the recalls (renix was it?). I disabled it by disconnecting the wires leading to the brakes (one near each fender and the one under the passenger seat).

satan said:

... so your state inspection requires that your anti-lock lamp lights as a self-check then goes out?

Correct, unless the shop I'm at is anal?

Here's the exact terms:
3. - INSPECT BRAKES FOR:

Worn, damaged or missing parts.

Worn, contaminated or defective linings or drums.

Leaks in system, proper fluid level.

Worn, contaminated or defective disc pads or discs.
(NOTE: A minimum of two wheels and drums must be removed from each vehicle at the time of inspection. Consult the official inspection manual for exceptions.)

....I'm thinking I'll just take it to another shop. The first time I brought it in I forgot about the blub. So they knew that I had a problem w/ the bulb. If the bulb is gone now, and I take it to another place, they would never know about it in the first place right? Unless they actually check to see if an ABS light is inactive/active. Do they look up a vehicle's VIN to see what options it was equiped with at the inspection station?

How do guys with axle swaps to non abs axles pass inspection?

Last edited:
y'wonder if th4ey're looking at the light/self test as an indication that parts are not damaged or missing (?)

One of the old tricks is to get a fuel pump relay from a VW Rabbit (has a timer in it) and runthe bulb of of that!

I called the Va State Police in main office in Richmond for you at http://www.vsp.state.va.us/safety.htm.
Trooper Ayers said that they have changed the manual on this but it has not gone out to the inspection stations yet. According to him as long as your jeep still has fully functioning manual and power (non abs) braking they can not reject you even if your abs light stays on but your abs light must still work. So put the bulb back in and call the local Va Police district inspection office (804) 743-2217 (I believe you are in Richmond) for help on this before going in for a reinspection. Good Luck. Greg

Last edited:
Back