• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Still running hot!

PRYAPSM

NAXJA Forum User
After installing CSF 3 row, with dirtbound fans, a new water pump, hoses and thermostat my jeep is still running HOT. I don't have any coolant in oil so we can run out head gasket being bad.

The jeep is stock with 202k miles on it and running out of options why it would be still running hot? Living in Tucson I understand its hot out here, but there should no reason with a 3row rad it should be running hot..

I have tired to run it without a thermostat, no change!

Any ideas???

first off how hot is hot. is the temp sensor reading right ? is the water pump correct. there is a reverse rotaion or standard rotation waters pumps depending on the year and belt routing. also make sure your belt is routed correctly. you could still have a bad head gasket with out oil and water mixture. you will need to do a chemical block check . you can get a block check kit at a quality auto parts store.this is starting point

Temp sensor good? A bad head could also burn coolant through the exhaust not just into the oil. Is you coolant level dropping? Radiator cap ok? Heater core pugged?

Temp sensor good? A bad head could also burn coolant through the exhaust not just into the oil. Is you coolant level dropping? Radiator cap ok? Heater core pugged?

Have not checked the sensor yet, also I have not had a huge drop in coolant levels, cap is new. How can I tell if the heater core is clogged?

first off how hot is hot. is the temp sensor reading right ? is the water pump correct. there is a reverse rotaion or standard rotation waters pumps depending on the year and belt routing. also make sure your belt is routed correctly. you could still have a bad head gasket with out oil and water mixture. you will need to do a chemical block check . you can get a block check kit at a quality auto parts store.this is starting point

Belt routing and water pump are good, I don't have problem when it is below 80degrees out.

Hot driving on the highway? Or standing still? Or both?

While driving on the freeway it will drop down a little, but more towards stopping a red lights is what is really heating things up.

While driving on the freeway it will drop down a little, but more towards stopping a red lights is what is really heating things up.

Ding ding ding! Get a new fan clutch. If it doesn't sound like a 747, it's shot. Just put a hd one on my stepdad's xj and it'll blow the clothes off an Amish chick.

First off, put a 195 thermostat it if you dont have one. Don't use anything else but a 195. Do you have ac? If so, does it work? If no, is the condensor still in front of the radiator? If it is, remove it completely. The old condensors block A LOT of airflow. Most cooling problems of any system (oil, fuel, water) is air flow. Are your fans pushing or pulling across the radiator? Are you 100% sure you have all the air out of the system? WHAT YEAR IS YOUR JEEP? Get a meter and test the coolant temp sensor, use a infared temp gun and do a temp check across the radiator. Test inlet and outlet temps. Compare. It should be cooler coming out of the radiator obviously.

You can have a shop with a 5 gas analyzer sniff the air at the radiator cap while the engine is running, if it senses exhaust gases you know theres a combustion leak. I see your profile says 1998 jeep. I'm not sure on the spec of the 98 4.0s for tstat temp. What ever oem is, use that. Always. You can buy some heater hose at a parts store, cut it in 4 foot lengths, hook up your heater core backwards and run the hose into a bucket. Start the jeep with the heater on full heat and rev the engine in bursts to build flow up and down. This is a way to "flush" the heater core. Are you sure you have the right cap? Is the oem spec for lbs?

When are your fans set to come on? Since it goes down when you are on the freeway my bet is on an air flow problem.

mine overheated put a 160 in and now its fine
Putting in a cooler thermostat is bad for just about any modern engine. Not only will the coolant/water pass through the cooler faster, it doesnt allow the engine to stay in its designed operating temperature. Which casues faster engine and component wear. Also, the different temperatures change fuel trim and affects emissions which is a direct sign of engine performance. I'm glad it worked for you, but you have other issues. These jeeps don't have cooling systems design flaws. Except for the old style pressure tank
(poor bottle design), they are old. They need problems fixed not band-aids. Like I said, My 90 doesnt even have an e-fan. Just mechanical. No cooling problems with a stock style radiator, stock water pump, stock thermostat, stock fan clutch, stock fan.
AIR FLOW AIR FLOW AIR FLOW. The first thing to look at for ANY cooling problem of any system with an air cooler.

I was having the same problem with my '95 XJ. I had a CSF Triple Core rad and I tried all kinds of different fans (even the Taurus fan). Finally, what works is to return fans to stock and put in a Griffin radiator. It's expensive and it's a lot thicker than any other radiator I've seen for the XJ, but this thing WORKS! I have had NO overheating problems since installing it. Hope this helps...

Back