• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ Brake swap, Parking brake cables

supersuby483

NAXJA Forum User
Did a ZJ read disc brake swap, trying to get the parking brake hooked. TeraFlex 42" cables are too short, TeraFlex 56.5" are too long. Stock cables have different axle side ends. No dealership in the area has KJ cables, and for the life of me I can't find any parking brake cable lengths on any auto parts stores websites. I here 96ing Exploder cables work, but no one lists details that could help me narrow this down. Yes, i've searched. No, I haven't found any answers that are helpful. I am probley sounding like an asshole, if I am it's because I am fustrated about not being able to drive my jeep. Please help me.

You can get a cable clamp and use your stock cables to wrap around and clamp a loop. I know many have done this and it works just fine. I bought clamps a year and a half ago but they are still in the glove box.

Lengths may vary based on lift, year and other factors best to measure and just go down to the parts store to see what will fit.

I had switched out my axle which prompted me to do the brake swap. In the process of replacing the axle, I cut the old brake cables. Ideally I was to try and have a clean looking swap. This is what is leading my search of parking brake cables. I forgot to mention, 95 XJ/AW4/NP231, 4.5" of lift with 29 spline Corp 8.25.

I see that you have a '95 XJ. Here is some info that I have been saving to use when I do my ZJ swap on my 97XJ but I do not know if there is any reason for pre-'97 XJ's to have different cable length requirements than 97+ XJ, but anyway, here is the info that I have, fwiw.

FROM A POST ON THE FORUM:
When I did the ZJ rear brake conversion on my '99 w/ 8.25, I used NAPA #95064 and 95969 cables. These worked just right for me, no looping and clamping and they fit in the original brake equalizer.

Hope this helps-
Jeff-97XJ

I used Teraflex cables:
4304169 Cable E-Brake TJ 34.375" outer housing 2.5" Inner Cable to Splitter.
4304175 Cable E-Brake 59" outer housing 2.5" Inner Cable to Splitter.

One of the benefits of not using stock cables is that I no longer have the loop of cable that drops down below the axle on the passenger side.

This is on a '98 XJ with an '87 XJ D44 rear axle and '94 ZJ rear disk brakes.

The two cables with shipping cost me $106.

I used the stock XJ cables. I chopped the XJ parking brake lever arm off and welded them on the ZJ arms. The parking brake bracket was moved rearward to gain cable length.
Used this setup for several years and over 45,000 miles without any problems.

More information here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157605049387729/

lazyxj, any idea what size wheel studs you used?
I pressed a set out of a pair of old XJ front hubs bearings. They are a little longer than the XJ rear studs.
Longer wheel studs are needed since the rear ZJ rotors are thicker than the XJ's brake drums. They worked fine.

I pressed a set out of a pair of old XJ front hubs bearings. They are a little longer than the XJ rear studs.
Longer wheel studs are needed since the rear ZJ rotors are thicker than the XJ's brake drums. They worked fine.

I read some where on this forum that studs from the 2000/2001 XJ's are longer and are a perfect replacement when longer studs are required.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1057992

Back