• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Time to replace the shocks

machinisttx

NAXJA Forum User
'00 XJ Classic, 4.0, upcountry suspension package, factory tow package.

From some reading, it appears that the upcountry package used different shocks than the standard suspension. I'm not sure what an OE replacement would be. Will it make any significant difference if I just get some $21 cheapies from Oreilly's? Suggestions?

I replaced my stock shocks on the 92 Limited with the Monroe Reflex, and used them for several years until I put on a proper lift.

They seemed to have good road manners, and even used them with a budget boost for a couple of years and they did fine.

The Reflex is more $ than the entry-level stuff, but does have a "lifetime" warranty. I did have to replace the rears after a couple of years of off-road weekends, but they were replaced under warranty...no hassle.

Last edited:
That is odd...maybe the late-model shocks are different? Mine is a 1992...I always thought that the shocks were the same but maybe not.

I can dig though my receipts and see if I can find the part number, but it will be some time this evening.

Looks like even the entry-level Monroes have a lifetime warranty...might be a little more cushy ride than the Reflex. I guess it just depends on how much you want to spend!

The Reflex line is similar to the SensaTrac line, by Monroe. I've got them on both my XJs. I've tried others through the years, and IMHO, I like them the best. From what I've been told, normal size shocks are fine on the UpCountry, as it's only about an inch. My son's '96 Classic has UpCountry, and it's got the Bilsteins on it that I didn't like on my '92. I thought they were too soft, and he loves 'em. Go figure!

One thing you may want to consider is that, even though the body (sprung weight) of the XJ is rather light, the live axles and heavy tires and wheels (unsprung weight) are a substantial percentage of the total weight. I tend to lean toward better, firmer control of what's suspended below. It'll never ride like a luxury sedan, and the extra control that a firm suspension will offer is probably the best altrnative.

Last edited:
UpCountry, on both the XJ and ZJ, had some kind of upside-down looking shock on them. Although, I've never ridden in one new enough to feel the shocks when they were not already in need of replacement.

The Reflex line is similar to the SensaTrac line, by Monroe. I've got them on both my XJs. I've tried others through the years, and IMHO, I like them the best. From what I've been told, normal size shocks are fine on the UpCountry, as it's only about an inch. My son's '96 Classic has UpCountry, and it's got the Bilsteins on it that I didn't like on my '92. I thought they were too soft, and he loves 'em. Go figure!

The inch difference in height isn't really a concern, although if it is a different part number, I'd rather use the OE replacement. What does concern me is that the info I found said they were higher pressure than those on the standard suspension. I'm not sure if the info was correct, or if it would really even matter. The suspension in mine feels a little stiffer than my parent's 96 xj, but that could just be from 60k fewer miles and being 4-5 years newer.

Back