• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ho big is too Big.

Jerm S.

NAXJA Forum User
I Have an 88' Xj 4 door with about 7" of lift and long arms. I have 33 X 12.5 SSR's that are pretty well worn out. I'm thinking that i want to go to a 36 X 14.50 if I can find them. Heres the catch. I have a rear D60 and a Front D44. but i have a freind that has broke his 44 with 35"s i was just wondering your guys thoughts on that. would 36's break a D44?

TIA

Jerm S.

You can break anything if you try hard enough :D

I broke my front 44 with 36's, the shaft that is, that's why I'm buying better shafts/joints.

I've seen guys run 38's with d30's w/o breaking them for a while.

Jerm S. said:
I Have an 88' Xj 4 door with about 7" of lift and long arms. I have 33 X 12.5 SSR's that are pretty well worn out. I'm thinking that i want to go to a 36 X 14.50 if I can find them. Heres the catch. I have a rear D60 and a Front D44. but i have a freind that has broke his 44 with 35"s i was just wondering your guys thoughts on that. would 36's break a D44?

TIA

Jerm S.

Those tires are FINALLY worn out? Come on........they've only been on three XJ's. (Dave B from West Jordan owned them before me).

You may want some alloy axles and CTM's, but if you're running a 'stock' full-width axle (whatever it came out of), I'd just get a set of spares before you break the ones that are in there. I personally believe the 297/760 joint has it's limits at 35-36".......and you will be buying new outers/inners occasionally if you stick to the stock type axle. Get a set of Warns and the CTM's, and I think you're good up to 38"ish (but then what breaks in the axle?)

Last edited:
You'll definately be needing alloy shafts, IMHO. The ctm's you can do without as long as you use full circle clips or weld your caps in. Use any hub but the warn premiums and you put the weak link where you don't even have to move in order to fix (plus it's only a 10 min. job). I run 38.5" SX's on warns and 760's with superwinch hubs. I've blown hubs but no u-joints. I don't blow hubs all that often either.

BTW, I have a set of 36" SX's for sale with 3/4 tread left on them. Yep, shameless plug, I know.

Sean

It seems like with full C-clipped 760's, the OEM axle ears stretch and loosen up before the joint breaks. It seemed like before, with 297's, I would always pop a joint before the ear showed any signs of stretch.

Recent experiences are from Jes's rig, which runs an Atlas and C-clipped 760's in a D-30. The caps could be slid in and out of the yokes very easily after 8 months of hard use (including those damned Atlas pivots :jealous: ).

I run Warn's and CTM's and love the hell out of them. they are worth every penny for teh piece of mind you get!

CRASH

Back