• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How To: Build A Cheap Rollover Catch Can / Breather

freerider15

NAXJA Forum User
Been a while since I've done a write-up (Cut and Fold Rear Quarter Panels) so how about another.

Alright, so I cannot remotely take credit for this. I got the idea from a thread on Pirate:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gene...ass-mostly-aluminum-catch-can-under-15-a.html

But, since I know most of you don't venture there...I'll go ahead and post the build up of mine now :D

So a list of what you'll need (minumum):

* Aluminum Water bottle - Free in my case thanks to CSU
* Breather Filter - $6.32 + tax after 40% off at Advance Auto
* PCV Valve (PN# PCV1122) - $2.99 + tax at AutoZone
* 3/4" x 1/2" Hex Bushing - $1.95 + tax at Home Depot
* 3/8" ID x 1/2" MIP Brass Hose Barb Adapter - $3.12 + tax at Home Depot

So, total for the main stuff (if you have bottles free like I did):

$14.38 :greensmok

So on to the "build":

An overall picture of everything:

IMAG0574_zps34763bcf.jpg

IMAG0575_zps42c9e774.jpg

IMAG0576_zps8b08b21c.jpg

IMAG0577_zpsa517a0b6.jpg

So I did think slightly differently than the write-up on pirate, not by much though. You can either go the route in the pirate thread, or follow mine.

First things first. I smoothed out the small nipple lip on the PCV valve, then tapped it to 3/8x16.

*Note...the smaller part of the PCV valve measures out to about .350 so not completely .375 but taps just fine...you'll see where this makes a difference in a few. As well...the PCV valve is a one way valve so the internal "ball" will prevent it from leaking out in case of a rollover.

After it has been tapped:

IMAG0578_zps91366fad.jpg

Now...drill a hole in the center of the bottom of the bottle. Since the piece isn't really 3/8", I used a size T(~.358") drill bit for a better, tighter fit.

IMAG0579_zps9f794ea0.jpg

From here, I assembled like so with washers and o-rings for sealing. You can do as you like...this is just what I did.

IMAG0580_zps8da938b8.jpg

Now...it isn't the easist to get done inside the bottle but I figured out my own little tricks and it goes pretty quick.

IMAG0581_zps12d57fbc.jpg

Next, assemble the two adapters together and screw into the neck of the bottle. I used RTV between all threads, but you can use whatever you feel like...RTV, JB Weld. Whatever makes ya feel better :D

IMAG0582_zpsd71834f1.jpg

Last but not least...put the filter over the piece of the PCV valve sticking out and viola...done!

IMAG0583_zpsfd818d8a.jpg

OK...so a few more side notes. The filters I got didn't like to go on real easy. So to get them on I had to use a heat gun to get the rubber maleable then push it on. In order to get it more "flush" as shown below...I had to drill the rubber out to a larger hole (~1/2"), then heat and push. But, once done it comes out a little nicer like so:

IMAG0584_zpsdb6e514a.jpg

I'll get them mounted soon and add some pictures!

Bump.

This should be made into a FAQ. Well done dude. I saw that thread on PBB and was planning on making some of my own.

I have some leftover 4" intake tubing and some flat aluminum plate so I'm going to make some a bit shorter than that water bottle so I can place them in tighter areas.

Thanks!

Bump.

This should be made into a FAQ. Well done dude. I saw that thread on PBB and was planning on making some of my own.

I have some leftover 4" intake tubing and some flat aluminum plate so I'm going to make some a bit shorter than that water bottle so I can place them in tighter areas.

Thanks!

Thanks, yeah figured more than a "few" here could use it :D

Yeah if I had the ability to weld aluminum I would have made my own to fit in the little area I have available a little better.

Love your build...I'm jealous of the 440 :D

I copied your cut and fold writeup soon after you wrote it, not realizing I was coping a high school kid!

Now I will be copying a high school kid stuck in an adults body. Its funny how times change, and yet they stay the same.

edit: Go Rams!

How us this used?
Looks like a coolant catch can.

I'm assuming you know that your axles and t-case have breathers correct to let the pressure vent?

Well if you've ever looked at those breather...well there's not much to them.

You roll over or onto your side...and guess where all that fluid wants to go? Yep...right out the breather hose.

So not only do these prevent that (not the going on your lid part :D), but they allow greater room for expansion so you won't puke fluid out of your breather hose if the fluid gets hot enough (which I had happen many a time with my NP231).

That and they just look cool :D

Thanks, yeah figured more than a "few" here could use it :D

Yeah if I had the ability to weld aluminum I would have made my own to fit in the little area I have available a little better.

Love your build...I'm jealous of the 440 :D

Yeah definitely, I've been reading up on some better ways to vent my crankcase as well. Either gonna do the 3 sides or tee both breathers into a catch can.

Thanks dude. I've been following your build since the beginning, love every minute of it :thumbup:

nice writeup.

stealing for my t-case and trans.

I would use a smaller bottle, just to fit in tighter spaces.

Had I been able to find smaller bottles I would (without spending a ton). One about half the size would be nice.

Nice thing is...if I do find some smaller ones I want to use I can just swap the stuff over.

MSR fuel bottles.

I would consider relocating the hose to the upper side of the bottle. For one reason only...the fluid will consume the hose and the bottom of the bottle preventing it from breathing out of the top. If you relocate the hose to the upper side you will fill up the bottle before ever stopping it from breathing.

Otherwise fantastic idea!!

MSR fuel bottles.

Hmm...I'll have to look into those.

I would consider relocating the hose to the upper side of the bottle. For one reason only...the fluid will consume the hose and the bottom of the bottle preventing it from breathing out of the top. If you relocate the hose to the upper side you will fill up the bottle before ever stopping it from breathing.

Otherwise fantastic idea!!

Whut?

You want the hose on the bottom of the bottle. The bottle will breath as fluid gets pushed up the hose towards the bottle.

If you relocate the hose to the top of the bottle, you fill the can. You don't want to fill the can. If the can does fill (from you being on your side or rolled over) you want to to gravity feed back to the source (tcase, axle, etc.).

:D

Yeah not sure why you wouldn't want it on the bottom...

I need to make one of these for my engine ccv setup. Just two breathers with 1/2" lines running to a catch can.

I found some other PCVs at autozone that have a much larger orifice and connection to bring the filter up to a reasonable size considering the dual 1/2" lines. I'll post mine up when I get to them (probably not for a few weeks).

Whut?

You want the hose on the bottom of the bottle. The bottle will breath as fluid gets pushed up the hose towards the bottle.

If you relocate the hose to the top of the bottle, you fill the can. You don't want to fill the can. If the can does fill (from you being on your side or rolled over:D

Yeah not sure why you wouldn't want it on the bottom...

What I was trying to say is that with a "catch can" like your design, you prevent your t.c., pcv, chunk, whatever...from breathing freely while the hose and bottom of the can are filled with fluid and the breather is at the top. Look into Allstar Catch Cans if you don't know what I mean.

The Allstar cans have a baffle inside of them, however I don't see the purpose as they are connected by the filter opening.. His does not. His can would be effective as a breather can for a transmission, diff, or transfercase. Fluid/air would vent then get sucked back in when it cools. Which is what I interpret his work to do.

If you are making a catch cam for the stock style engine PCV system (intake manifold sucks through the valve cover) then the input and output on the catch cam must be divided and some form of mesh or stainless steel wool at the bottom to coalesce and trap the fluid. Simply having an open chamber is not optimal, while it might some what work.

Back